Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renting in Wellington

Default Renting in Wellington

Hi all,

I'm considering a 6 - 12 month temporary move from Toronto, Canada to Wellington in Oct - Nov. I'm hoping to go with 2 buddies of mine and we're looking at prices and the market in Wellington.

Do you know if Wellington is more of a market for renters or buyers? In Toronto right now the real estate market is hot and so everyone's buying property. As a result, there are loads of places available for rent immediately. Is it a similar situation in Wellington or is it quite important to have a spot picked out before arriving?

Also, we won't be getting a car, so any info about public transit is appreciated (i.e. costs, times, how far (suburb) can one realistically live if commuting into the CBD daily, etc).

Thanks in advance,
    Anthony

hi akoso. were looking at a different area (Christchurch) cant help you much. i do know that public transport is brilliant out there in Wellington though.
    welcome to the forum!

The housing market is supposed to be slowing in Wellington, because of the high interest rates. But I went to an open home on Sunday and the agent said he was getting an offer right after the open home (the first for the property). Of course, that was estate agent speak...

There are plenty of Rental Places available in Wellington at the moment.

Check out
    www.trademe.co.nz
    http://www.realestate.co.nz/
    http://www.nzflatmates.co.nz/

If you search the forum, I'm sure you can find other links.

Quote Originally Posted by gpbenton View Post
    The housing market is supposed to be slowing in Wellington, because of the high interest rates. But I went to an open home on Sunday and the agent said he was getting an offer right after the open home (the first for the property). Of course, that was estate agent speak...

There are plenty of Rental Places available in Wellington at the moment.

Check out
    www.trademe.co.nz
    http://www.realestate.co.nz/
    http://www.nzflatmates.co.nz/

If you search the forum, I'm sure you can find other links.
    There have been several forum members recently who have been trying to secure a rental and been finding it difficult. The main problem is that there are more people looking for a property to rent than there are properties so when a rental becomes available it goes very quickly (unless there is something wrong with it).

Having said that, this was January time and it may be better at other times of the year.

So, yes there are quite a few rental properties available but they tend to go quickly.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    There have been several forum members recently who have been trying to secure a rental and been finding it difficult. The main problem is that there are more people looking for a property to rent than there are properties so when a rental becomes available it goes very quickly (unless there is something wrong with it).
    Yup. That's what I figured. So best to have something lined up before heading over, eh? Or at least be prepared to spend some time in a backpacker or hotel to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the help.

Is the rent considerably more expensive right in the CBD than in the suburbs?

Anthony

Default Public Transport in Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by akoso View Post
    Also, we won't be getting a car, so any info about public transit is appreciated (i.e. costs, times, how far (suburb) can one realistically live if commuting into the CBD daily, etc).

Thanks in advance,
    Anthony
    The metlink website has all the information you need about public transport times and routes.

http://www.metlink.org.nz/section10.php

I've found living in the city - say Thorndon to Mount Victoria - works fine without a car, but I'm not sure if you can do it further out. All the transport tends to come into the city, so if you lived in Johnsonville and wanted to go to Lower Hutt, it is quite a protracted affair, especially on Sunday.

Commuter buses also get VERY crowded.

The buses have been reliable enough over the last year. Buses through the city in rush hour get held up quite a bit, but other than they generally arrive within 5 minutes of the schedule.

Since I travel 3 zones every day, and tend to go to Lower Hutt at the Weekend, I get a monthly platinum pass for $165, which is accepted by all the different bus companies. If you travel less, or only in one area, you can get discount cards for each particular bus operator.

I've found living in the city - say Thorndon to Mount Victoria - works fine without a car, but I'm not sure if you can do it further out.
    Wow. So all the spots on the east coast (Maupula, Miramar, etc) and those further south (Island Bay, Berhampore, etc) are a pretty far reach to commute to Welly Central, eh?

I travel 3 zones every day, and tend to go to Lower Hutt at the Weekend
    I've checked out a couple of maps of Welly suburbs, but haven't been able to locate Lower Hutt. Where abouts is it? Is it a big deal?

Thanks for the help bud,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by akoso View Post
    Wow. So all the spots on the east coast (Maupula, Miramar, etc) and those further south (Island Bay, Berhampore, etc) are a pretty far reach to commute to Welly Central, eh?
    I dont think so. Miramar to Courteney Place would be about half an hour at peak times I would say. It is totally doable. I live in miramar and I love it out here. I study in Newtown (the City Center end, near Mt Cook) so I have to drive along a bit of one of the commuter routes and its not too bad at all. I know plenty of people who live in the suburbs you specify who commute into town. I live in Miramar and I love it out here..more spread out and so close to the sea.

Sorry, I didn't mean its too far to commute - far from it. People commute by train from Paraparam.

But without a car, you are kind of stuck out there in suburbia, and travelling to anywhere but downtown is a chore. I've looked at it, because the rent is cheaper away from the center of town, but I decided I'd need to buy a car just to have a social life.

Lower Hutt is in the Hutt Valley, which starts at the North end of the Harbour. It is also a very popular place to live and commute from. Just follow SH2 on the map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast