Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sensitive question

Unhappy A sensitive question

I'm not sure about posting this question, so sorry if I offend anyone.

We lost a baby boy at 20 weeks gestation, and still have his ashes at home. If we do move to NZ, we'd like to take them with us (does that sound weird?) as I'd feel I was leaving him behind.

I was wondering if that is likely to be a problem, as I'd rather know now, than at the last minute if we can't take them.

Sorry for this slightly depressing question, but it's been really preying on my mind.

Helen

Helen, it doesn't sound at all weird. I don't know any answer to tell you, but I hope somebody else does.

To be honest, I'd make a phone call, and get 100% clarification, I don't see why it would be a problem but I'd double check. And no, it's not weird.

I wouldn't think it'd be a problem as customs is likely looking at items that are brought in that can create problems in-country (i.e. insect/animal pests, banned materials)

If you're concerned enough, browse MAFs site (they're the ones who are receiving shipments/containers):

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz

Or contact them directly (info.biosecurity@maf.govt.nz) I hear they are very helpful and quick to respond.
    Last edited by migratory birds; 9th February 2008 at 06:44 AM.

Hi Helen

I know it isnt quite the same but my sister brought over her horses ashes with her. You do have to inform MAF and in her situation as long as the ashes were in a sealed casket it was fine.
    Like I say, not sure if it would be the same but I am pretty sure you would have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 5kings View Post
    We lost a baby boy at 20 weeks gestation, and still have his ashes at home. If we do move to NZ, we'd like to take them with us (does that sound weird?) as I'd feel I was leaving him behind.

Helen
    not weird at all, I would need to do exactly the same, absolutely

Hugs

Mels

I'm sure if he was my little boy I'd want to bring him too. You won't have offended anyone with you're question and I can't imagine anyone will think its weird either.

I don't know the answer I'm afraid but britchik's sister's story sounds a pretty positive indication.

Helen

Default No problem for Human Ashes

Hi there

My fiance's mum recently took two lots of ashes of her sister and grandmother from the UK to New Zealand via Canada and Tahiti. She contacted the airlines in advance and didn't have a problem at all, although I believe they had to be checked in.

Hope that helps
    Jon

Default Thanks everyone

thanks everyone,

It sounds as though it will be fine, but I will make a few phone calls nearer the time (not that we even know when we might be going yet!)
    I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to talking about it in person, and end up getting upset, so a big thanks for the reassurance.

Helen

Or send off an email to the MAF address above. No need to talk with anyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast