Thread: job offers

Default job offers

I'm just being impatient here, and should just wait till Monday. But being the person I am, I can't help but worry.

I had an interview last Monday, and got a call the same day that I am their preferred candidate, they'd just need to check the references.

They've checked the references, and all seems to be fine, or so I'm told by the HR person, we've discussed details like salary, working hours, holidays, etc, and in theory, I'm supposed to start work on Tuesday.

The only thing that is missing is a formal job offer and a contract.

So, are they just being nice, and this could go either way, or, if we are at this stage, should I assume I turn up for work on Tuesday? This is the public sector, btw.

I know that in the UK, I got the job offer first, then they checked the references, do they normally do that differently here?

I know, I know, all will be revealed on Monday, but this really is putting a damper on my weekend!

thanks for any experiences,

Daniela

We had a verbal 'she'll be right' but they needed to get refs- took a week and we sweated all week- not that we thought the refs would be anything other than glowing, but just that until it's signed sealed and delivered it's hard to relax and celebrate. It was good as gold though in the end though- I bet it's the same for you

It was a bit like that when i started my current job now.

I had the interview, then was told i would know by the end of the week. That came and went, i sweated all weekend when i got to the point i had to know. I rang the person, she was working nights that weekend so emailed me and said i had the job, and would be back in touch, and had to send my Occupational Health forms.

A few days went past again, filled forms in, returned, again nothing. I knew that my references had been sorted, as my ex boss's PA had emailed me to tell me so. So i couldnt understand the holdup and was wondering is this going to work out ?

I had organised for my son to start the Learning Centre on the Monday, as i had hoped i would be starting work. That came and went, but i started him anyone to get him into a routine. Tuesday, came and i rang again, i felt like i was stalking her. She said i could start the next day........... i could breathe again! Everything had been sitting on another persons desk waiting to be signed off.......

I had my contract and letter of employment, etc the day i started. Everything worked out well, but so different and laid back to what i was used to in the UK.

I am sure it will work itself out! Just a matter of hanging in there!

Good luck and let us know how your first day goes!

Sharon
    x

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts

I actually had my first day at work today and signed the contracts.

When I mentioned that I had a long weekend worrying whether I had a job since I didn't have a 'formal' job offer, I was told they just assumed I knew. Oh well.

Anyway, first day at work after 5.5 months, I'm absolutely shattered!

But I do get paid more than I thought I would as a first job, I do have a public sector job (health sector, which is where I worked before as well) which is what I wanted, and although the commute isn't the nicest (as far as scenery goes), it seems doable.

Now I just have to remember everyone's name when I go back tomorrow...

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Daniela

congratulations. so typical isn't it that we spend all that time worrying only to find there was nothing to worry about!

Ahh yes that first day at work thing. Sleep well!

Congrats Daniela - first days are so exhausting aren't they? My face always aches from smiling. Hope it turns out to be a good one.

All the best. Whereabouts is your job based? (trying to visualise the commute approximately)