Thread: ESTA and ESTB certified !!

Default ESTA and ESTB certified !!

Just started thinking about moving to NZ and alot of the jobs Im looking at ask for ESTA and ESTB certification.
    I have a City & Guilds Elect qual part 2 from the RAF and I am currently working as a commissioning engineer for Standby Generators.
    Can anyone fill me in on the ESTA/B
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alawrence10360 View Post
    Just started thinking about moving to NZ and alot of the jobs Im looking at ask for ESTA and ESTB certification.
    I have a City & Guilds Elect qual part 2 from the RAF and I am currently working as a commissioning engineer for Standby Generators.
    Can anyone fill me in on the ESTA/B
    Many thanks
    I'm not sure what you mean by ESTA ESTB. I'm guessing that you mean Electrical Service Technician. Be aware that the service technician is a lower certification than electrician here in NZ. With it you can only service appliances, not electrical installations.

Which C&G do you have? What is the number of the qualification? The acceptable equivalents are all listed in the legislation that electricians work under.

Take a look at this PM that I sent to someone recently as it has some useful links.

==============================================

I worked for 30 years as a sparky in the UK. I also taught the subject part time at Chichester College. I had lots of C&G qualifications, but not the one the EWRB wanted. This was not acceptable to the EWRB. So I sat the examination, got C&G2360 part 2, ticked the legislative box and moved on. Strangely I got distinctions in all subjects...... If I remember, C&G examinations are sat in June and December, and you need to apply 6 weeks before the examination in order to sit it. 2360 also has a course work assesment component, so if you need to take 2360, you'll need to talk to your local college asap.

The experience is laid out in the act. I'd type it all out for you, but it's 3 pages of very small print! However, one of the things I like about NZ is that all legislation is on the web.

Look stuff up at:-

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/

The Electricity Regulations are at:-

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...DLM228450.html

The bit about experience is at:-

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...DLM230018.html

And qualifications at:-

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...DLM230041.html

When I did mine I listed all the jobs I'd done over as many years as our records went back, and specifying which jobs covered which experience requirements, and how many hours each job contributed to the required experience. Take note that somewhere in the legislation is a requirement for have worked a minimum number of hours to gain this experience. It sounds dumb to say it, but the EWRB are civil servants. You need to give them stuff on a plate. Don't be vague, don't take the approach that "the information is in there why can't they see it", spell it out. Make it easy for them to tick the legislative boxes so that they can issue the relevant pieces of paper. My application to the EWRB took 2 weeks, and got handed in, no questions were asked, and the registration ticket popped out the other end.

Do not make the mistake of applying for registration as an "Electrical Service Technician". It's lower than Electrician, and means that you are only qualified for work on appliances! In otherwords, useless.

Now, the regulations may seem awfully dry and unreadable, but the examination that will need to be sat is based upon them and AS/NZS 3000. A standard of sorts..... Anyway, it would be worth some bedtime reading so that you understand the hoops you need to jump through to get to where you want to be! The examinations are "open book" anyway, and if you take the short course (2 weeks) at Weltec, you'd do a week on rules and regs and then sit an exam, and a week on practical stuff, which took me 2 days...... Oh, and you'll do the safety training.......... again!

============================

Many the thanks for the quick response.
    In many jobs I have seen with agencies the wording for the qualifications is "Applications are invited from suitably-qualified persons, probably ESTA and ESTB certified" or similar.
    It sounds like I will benefit from that corse as Im 48 and its been a while since Ive don that sort of thing.
    It may be that at my age Im not eligable anyway.

Pete S
    I cant seem to get on those links but the main site is full of stuff and Im not sure where to look for the regs you wrer pointing me to. HELP

Many the thanks for the quick response.
    In many jobs I have seen with agencies the wording for the qualifications is "Applications are invited from suitably-qualified persons, probably ESTA and ESTB certified" or similar.
    It sounds like I will benefit from that corse as Im 48 and its been a while since Ive don that sort of thing.
    It may be that at my age Im not eligable anyway.
    The practical course is a means of demonstrating that you can do it. You'll have a pile of stuff thrown at you and told to get on with it.

The regulations part is to show you can look stuff up. A good start would be the UK regulations exams, as there are many similarities.

And 48 is no problem for the course.

Pete S
    I cant seem to get on those links but the main site is full of stuff and Im not sure where to look for the regs you wrer pointing me to. HELP
    For some reason the links have been trunkated.

Start here:-

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...lectrical&sr=1

Pay particular attention to Schedule 1 and Schedule 6

Thaks I can get the link.
    My C&G is electrical and electronic craft studies
    Inspection and Testing 2391
    16 edition regs.
    Can you advise the way you demonstrate/prove the practical experience stated in the schedule
    Cheers

Think Pete has done a blinding job so far, so i wont repeat it.

But just to reiterate the EST thing, as Pete has said it is not a huge use and may allow you to change a element on a kettle maybe, but if you want to do any further Electrical work then you will need the Electrician part.

With your qualifications listed you should have no problem getting an Electrician grade, of course you still need to sit the Regs exam and take a little practical, but they are not major hurdles.

Drop me a PM with your email, and i can email you an idea of how i did the qualifications to you..

Quote Originally Posted by Leccy-Lee View Post
    Drop me a PM with your email, and i can email you an idea of how i did the qualifications to you..
    Just a reminder that you need to have made 5 posts (not in the lounge) before you are able to PM (private message) someone on the forum.

Ian

This 2000 hrs and 4 years experience requirement...how do you prove /demonstrate it ?