Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Region free DVD players?

You can also remove the code protection from the dvd re recording it into a dvd-r, you can use anydvd or dvddecrypter.

My two cents....

we bought a multi region DVD player here, didnt cost any more than the other ones. The manual gave instructions on how to change region codes. This is what it says:

The instructions below allow you to set your DVD player to allow discs with any "region code" (zone) to be played back. It is recommended you only follow these instructions if you are having problems playing back DVDs that were not intended for New Zealand (ZONE4).

EJECT the disc-tray and remove any disc that may be present.
    With the disc-tray OPEN, press "2812" to display a special "Setup Menu" on the TV (screen).
    Select the "DVD" region option in the menu using the "enter" key. The numbers on the "menu" correspond to the six regions⁄zones. For example, "1" is "Zone1", "2" is "Zone2", etc.
    Use the "arrow keys" along with the "enter" key to set the required region. (Note: "9" allows for "Multizone" playback)

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwa View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy a 'region free' DVD player here in NZ? Preferably in Welly or nearby. I suppose if they are sold in Auckland, I can have a mate mail it to me. Please let me know, because my US dvd player broke and all of my DVDs are coded region #1 (US) so now I am sort of up the creek without a paddle unless I want to use my Apple MacBook Pro (bought in Oregon, USA) laptop as my permanent DVD entertainment system.

Cheers,

John
    Most shops in NZ appear to already sell multi-region DVD players if you ask them.

If you want a 'cheap' player then it most DVD players sold in the Warehouse are already region free, I guess this is because they sell DVDs from various regions.

When buying our last DVD player in NZ, we just asked if it could play other regions and either they said yes, or they went behind the counter and got out a list of instructions for the DVD player to switch it to multi-region.

If you go somewhere that doesn't know then either test it, or do a quick google for this model to confirm that there is a simple 'code' to enter to switch the region.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mels View Post
    good site CJ22, added it to favourites in readiness.

Quick question though, do these 'hacks' make the DVD player able to play UK and NZ DVD's, or does in switch it to only NZ - I know 'girly' question

Mels
    Sort of already answered by CJ22 but thought I would answer again

DVD players are normally set to only play one region e.g. 2 in UK or 4 in NZ.

Now when you use a 'hack' to change the setting you will have the option of which region to change it to e.g. you could change it from 2 to 4 which would now allow you to play only NZ DVDs and not UK ones.

But as you are more likely to want to play UK and NZ DVDs you can change the region to 'non' (normally set it to 0) which will allow you to play any DVD from any region.

Ian

a useful site, should you have decided on a brand/model:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

will show you wether there is a remote control hack or wether it need's chipping.

Cheers,

Dave

It works! I have a Trutech T600-D and googled for the product name and "code unlock". A few minutes of filtering, and I found a variety of hacks, one of which worked. So now I can bring my cheapie DVD player instead of buying a cheapie upon arrival in NZ.

I love it when a plan comes together.

We bought a family pack of 2 region 0 DVD players from K-mart recently for only $79. They were some unknown brand (Magnavox), not quite as robust compared to your Sony etc from UK, but work just fine for all our DVD's.

Hi guys,

I've just bought a 'region free' player from Farmers on Cuba Mall in Welly for $50.00. They were $59.00 but reduced in the sale. It's a PYE PD435 if anyone needs a cheap player. It will play DVD R+/-'s, photo discs, and the chap that sold me it gave me the code to make it region free so it plays everything. It goes great so far!

Cheers,

Ian. (Now back in NZ!!!)

I'll be bringing a 'de-regionalised' machine with me, as I need one with XVid/DivX compatibility and a HDMI output. In fact, they're still quite cheap, but they may not be in NZ.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast