Thread: Multi-System TVs

Default Multi-System TVs

In order to play our US DVDs in NZ, we'll need both a region-free DVD player AND a multi-system TV, right?

Assuming that's true, am I better off buying a multi-system TV here in the US and having it shipped with all my other goods? I keep hearing everyone say how much more expensive most products are in New Zealand. If that applies to TVs, it seems like it might make more sense to buy it here.

Are the TVs sold in NZ multi-system (I've heard that almost all the DVD players are region free so I was wondering if that was also true of the TVs)?

Any info/advice is appreciated.

RoadRunner

A codefree DVD player is all that you need. A NZ tv will work. I have heard most DVD players sold in NZ are codefree and they are cheap there so that should not be a problem.

Chris

Default Multi system TV

Hi RoadRunner,
    You can bring your American DVDs and videos, and the TV and players you buy in NZ will play them. I think they have recently made it to where all those players sold in NZ are multichannel, or whatever it is called. To make sooper-dooper sure, I had my husband bring down "Caddyshack" on VHS and "Frogs" on DVD (I gave him our worst DVD in case it got messed up, and we had a spare "Caddyshack"). He took them to the appliance store, Noel Lemming, and they told him for certain they would work....and he bought probably the cheapest TV and VHS player he could find (the prices are not bad at all for electronics). Then, he took the DVD to our Kiwi friends house, and it played fine there. So, whatever problems there used to be, the new stuff you buy there works fine on American stuff. I wouldn't bother fooling around with getting a TV up here. :cool

Default Tv

Definetly no requirement for a TV.

The DVD player does all the work, the TV just displays the singal it puts out.

Thanks everyone!

(Isn't this forum great? Everyone is so helpful! )

If you have the money to burn, one thing I'm looking into is bringing over a HTPC (home theater PC). My current one acts like a free Tivo (recording live TV) and outputs to my TV via a S-Video cable and can output in either NTSC (US) or PAL (everywhere else) with a simple configuration change. If I really feel like spending money, I can buy a LCD/Plasma TV that is 110-220/50-60Hz for the power. Since your average 42" plasma is $2500(US)/$3500(NZ) it might be worth it to bring one of those over too, as long as it's "used".