Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nurse jobs available

Smile Nurse jobs available

Hi
    We have finally made the decision to move, I'm a nurse & hopefully this will be enough to get my skilled migrant visa but I would prefer a job offer before we leave we would like to settle in The Bay of Plenty. Does anyone have any experience or advice on getting a job I have contacted various agencies but they either want vast amounts of money or are just short term temporary contracts. is it avisable to try to secure a job yourself or pay an agency and take up an agency nursing job and then secure somthing more permanent when out there. we are going to Expo in Leeds in April but at 42 I'm a little nervous is it just geared up to younger people making the move or are there any other oldies like us
    Thanks
    Julia

I wouldn't worry too much about your age, there's plenty here in their 30's, 40's and on who are busy making plans!

can't help with job hunting advice, although I think there are issues with registration that you will need to look into if you haven't already, one of the medical types on here will be sure to let you know no doubt

last years expo had several medical staff stalls, so if you're planning on going to the Leeds expo there should be people there you can talk to about it as well

My husband is a Community Physciatric Nurse and he secured a job with BOPDHB using an agency - Tonix. He is dealing with Annie who seeems very good, but to be honest you can just trawl through the various DHB websites and apply through them.

Hello, Julia. Good luck with all your plans. We'll be pensioners going over. Admittedly we won't have to find jobs - but we've had that much longer to stash stuff in the loft.

Hi I have just got a job as A midwife - dealing with tonix - tell you what to do and when . I guess you can apply direct but I have got a better wage going through an agency ( i believe speaking to others ) .

I applied for registration to practice first all online . they needed verification from the nmc which took a little time and police checks plus verification of official documents and 2 character references ( remember midwifery _ but prob similar ) hope this helps .

ps tonix did not charge me and it is a perm contract - dont consider myself old but approaching 40 - you should get automatic selection re points on EOI -I should email them - they then phoned me back and have proved very helpful - we are looking at Whakatane just down the road from T auranga in Bay of Plenty

I don't know what agencies you contacted but the nurse recruitment ones don't charge. I registered with Tonix, Geneva & Accent. By chance I got my job through Geneva earlier than I planned. But all agnecies were good - they gave you all the info and even chased up the NZNC for me. I would suggest you contact them all and see what advice they can give. If you apply directly to the DHB's I believe you may get a better relocation package but at the end of the day as long as you get the job right?

I too am 42 and my age did not go against me. But you will have to really start your nurse registration process soon. It can take up to 9 months for registration then you have to apply for an Annual Practising Certificate. Most DHB's will hold your post open if you give them an idea when you expect to be in NZ. Check out the NZNC website and request a registration pack now. At least you will have an idea of what info you need to start gathering. Just shout if you need any more help.

Hi
    I contacted the district health board directly ,they were very interested and before we knew it both my husband and I were offered jobs.We are just awaiting NZ nurse registration which is so slow ,before putting in our EOI.We have not gone through an agency or immigration consultant,just sent loads of emails to everyone and doing all our on research like alot of people on the forum.
    Helen

Smile

Hi Ziggy....

I've registered with Geneva Health who seem helpful enough, no fees and they call you so no overseas phonecall costs etc.

I was advised to get the registration process underway as it can take up to 6months, tho mine's taken a little longer basically just because I've had serious problems with character references actually reaching the NZ Nursing Council.

This is the website for the Nursing Council...

http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/

....lots of advice on what's involved in the process of applying and downloadable/printable application forms with guides etc.

As some have already mentioned, you can view employment ads on the District Health Board (DHB) sites....and apply direct.

Hope this helps

I can't see you having any difficulty finding a job. I've been to 2 Expos already and as soon as you mention you're a nurse they practically try to stuff you in a suitcase there and then!
    I'm just about starting to gather stuff for my nursing registration. I've 3 referees lined up and need to decide on a 3rd.
    I've already given my CV to Drake Medox International, who emailed me a handy guide to NZ. I don't know whether to go with an agency or not and as soon as I get my reg sorted I'll email my CV to Waikato DHB, see what they can offer.
    Which agencies asked you for money? I'd avoid those like the plague, to be honest. I don't see the need for us to be paying money when we're in such high demand!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast