Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are all NZ teachers so blunt?

Default Are all NZ teachers so blunt?

Just on for a rant basically and hopefully a bit of advice. My oldest who's 6 1/2 started school last week and am getting a bit panicked. Firstly the put him in year 3 with a whole load of kids aged 7 and up but quickly moved him into Year 2. From day one all I've heard from the school is that he is and I quote 'going to really struggle', 'in bottom of the class' etc etc.

Now just to put this into context his report from the UK states that he is a very able pupil performing at the top end of his year group. Also his maths homework last night was addition facts for 5 - he did all this last year and I provided them with the work from UK. Surely they differentiate to meet abilities in each class?
    Picked him up from school today and after I approached the teacher to see how he was getting on she said they had assessed him and that he'll most likely be going into 'reading recovery'??? Now I think I have a fair idea what this is as used to work in special needs policy development back in Scotland but no real clear explanation of why - when I asked was told they'll explain it later?? He was taught in the UK using phonics and a very different reading scheme but they just seem to dismiss this again despite me providing themwith examples of his work. Am worried about him being removed regularly from his class too and think it's equally if not more important for him to develop a social peer group - arrgh what have I done!?

Just worth clarifying too I'm not a pushy Mum who wants him to be top of every class (far from it) I just want him to be happy and content at school and making progress. Feel like I've done something dreadful by moving him into a system that might not work for him - help

Any advice??

Karenx

Hang in there!

Got to be honest, our school is fantastic. The staff cant do enough.

Is there someone you can have a chat with ? Perhaps the Head or Deputy ?

Kyle was taught using phonics too but has adjusted very well over here. They certainly are different to the Uk though i admit.

Dont be so hard on yourself, i appreciate your concern, i would be and have been worried about ours but he is doing really well.

Try and get to speak to someone for some clarification. Pm me if you want to chat personally, i honestly dont mind if can be of any help.

Sharon

It's really unlikely that if he was near the top for his age in the UK that he's near the bottom here. They have probably assessed him too early whilst he is still adjusting to all the changes and getting used to the change in accents etc. We haven't had this difficulty with our kids' schools which are fantastic - but I know I would be very worried if this had happened to my kids, so I sympathise.

As time goes on, they'll realise they got it wrong. The system here isn't all that different to the UK, I generally find it better. Good luck

We has something a little bit similar, I think. Our boys are very different in reading ability, one has always been one of the best in school in London, and has tested quite a bit ahead of his chronological age, and read Harry Potter in two languages. The other one is struggling with basic words, can't spell to save his life, and generally isn't interested in reading (yup, they are fraternal twins).

When we introduced the boys to the headmistress here, we mentioned that one of them was really struggling to read, and would probably need some help to catch up, but said that the other one was fine.

When they tested them, the one who can read tested at his chronological age (which puts him at the very very bottom of his class), the other one tested years ahead of his age.

My very first comment was 'you must have confused the two', a remark not very much appreciated.

To be honest, I have no idea how this happened. It is not an accurate represenation of their ability, and even though I am aware that being at the top of the class in their struggling East London school means nothing here in white middle class suburbia, I just found it odd.

I have asked for a retest for the one who did so badly, and was made to feel like pushy mum as well, but I really don't see a point in having him read really simple 'baby books' (his words) when I know he can do a lot better. I am also worried about the other one who did better than I think he really is (he has a number of techniques to make people think he actually CAN read).

Can you ask them to have another look, take another test? Other than that, I suppose they will see in time that he can do better. I doubt they'd go lower than Year 2 for a six and a half year old, so wouldn't be too worried about the peer group.

Good luck,

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    It's really unlikely that if he was near the top for his age in the UK that he's near the bottom here. They have probably assessed him too early whilst he is still adjusting to all the changes and getting used to the change in accents etc. We haven't had this difficulty with our kids' schools which are fantastic - but I know I would be very worried if this had happened to my kids, so I sympathise.

As time goes on, they'll realise they got it wrong. The system here isn't all that different to the UK, I generally find it better. Good luck
    I agree with Sam B but the best thing is to put your mind at rest and make a formal appointment with the class teacher, make sure she gives you more than 5 minutes!

Lots of children do Reading Recovery in our school, it seems to be a commonly used tool and not something that takes them out of the class for long (its sometimes done in the classroom). Its often the case that they don't need to do it for the whole year as its quite effective. It could be that the teacher was being rude, it could just be she didn't realise how awful 'reading recovery' sounded to you as someone unfamiliar with the school.

My son was put into a special handwriting group and I panicked at first as it felt like he was probably the worst in the class. However, I spoke to the teacher and she explained it was common for children to attend this group and so I took a different approach and I asked what I could do to help him improve. After a couple of months of working on his fine motor skills he was out of the group (and I noticed some other children were now in it).

My son had a good time in his handwriting group, it was all kids from his class anyway, so no worries about the social side.

If your child does attend reading recovery, you'll obviously have another teacher to talk to about his progress, someone who is more focused on this aspect of his education and I'm sure it will soon become apparent that his reading level is fine. You can also get info about the way this school teaches reading and help him at home.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Reading Recovery, in our school, isn't just for the worst readers in the class, its just a chance for your child to focus a bit more on reading that term.

I don't know if it will be the same in your school but hopefully this will put your mind at rest a bit.

Cheers

Tia

Thanks folks I appreciate the advice
    I think my main concern that it's all a bit quick to make a judgement really tis only been a week. Don't get me wrong if he needs to go on a reading recovery programme then bring it on - anything that helps. I think you hit it on the head though Tia the teacher was pretty blunt and I think that got my hackles up. I worked a lot at back in the UK with parents and schools sorting out various issues/disputes and was just really surprised by her tone and bluntness and to be honest felt she was a bit rude. Added to that she is the reading recovery teacher!!

Och well think I'll go and speak to the depute tomorrow and try not to go overboard

thanks again
    Karenx

Quote Originally Posted by peebles16 View Post

Added to that she is the reading recovery teacher!!

Karenx
    Oh no! Perhaps she's just trying to drum up business!

Good luck with your chat, let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Tia

Hi Karen

What school is he in?? (PM if you dont feel comfortable putting on the forum)

Declaring some relevant knowledge here - I was a schoolteacher, and still sometimes do private tuition in remedial reading/writing.

My kiwi d-i-l worked in the UK as a children's nanny. I remember how she found it very odd, helping 'her' children with their reading/spelling, as a lot of help and suggestions given here focus on fine differences in the vowel sounds, which she herself didn't make, and could only even notice by concentrating hard when I pointed them out. I'd say this means that the NZ system for teaching and testing reading is going to have to be substantially different. It's likely that the testing your children have had in these early days isn't picking up their UK skills, and is looking for NZ skills they haven't yet had a chance to get. It's probably worth mentioning this when talking things over with the various teachers.

Good luck with working through this. I know you must be feeling like fighting battles.

I second the idea that perhaps he's struggling with the accent- I had a tricky time when first starting my job as I have been doing an intensive spelling course with one lad and we both really struggled! A year later and it's easier as I can 'switch on' a useful enough accent but my little daughter who has just started school has had a few minor problems- I found her teacher correcting her on the letter E yesterday (my daughter knows all her letter sounds and names) "no, it's not that sound, it's I I I IGG" Poor wee poppet!

Bring your concerns to the teaching staff- ask whether they think his understanding of the vowel sounds might be a problem. Good luck, school issues can be such a worry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast