Thread: Motocross

Default Motocross

Anyone know if there is any motocross in NZ and if so what area is it popular
    Cheers

My (Kiwi) partner is into Motocross big time ! We live in Wanganui where there are quite a lot of events re Motocross. (Not always in Wanganui but prob bout hour, 2 hours away) There are also some "awesome" tracks that he and his mates go for burn outs on (in his words !!) Lots of Forestry etc that they are allowed on.
    He is not home at the moment, but I will find out more for you when he is
    Same question for you .....Are you from UK ? We are going over for hols in August and he has been wondering the same too for over there ?!!

There definitely is Motocross in NZ as my OH and FIL went to a fixture (if thats the right word) whilst we were on holiday at Mount Maunganui and came home covered in red dust! There is also a track next to MOTAT museum in Auckland.

I did a quick Google search and found this website, might be a useful place to start: www.motorcycling.co.nz or maybe here: www.kiwibiker.co.nz

HTH
    Anneliese

Quote Originally Posted by alawrence10360 View Post
    Anyone know if there is any motocross in NZ and if so what area is it popular
    Cheers
    MX is huge in NZ, and we currently sport the reigning Women's World MX Champ (Katherine Prumm - 2006 + 2007), who incidentally is still a teenager....., as well as fellow Kiwi Josh Coppins (who was leading MX1 last year comfortably, before suffering a crippling injury - still there's always this year....). For such a tiny country NZ is very well represented in the MX world, and the rugged countryside is ideal for off-roading full stop. There are heaps of clubs, places to ride etc etc. So yes MX in NZ rocks!

This is just another positive for us as I have always wanted to have and use a trail bike but there are some many people trying to stop you exploring the countryside in England. Also my two young lads would both love a motorcycle and this would be another possibility in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    This is just another positive for us as I have always wanted to have and use a trail bike but there are some many people trying to stop you exploring the countryside in England. Also my two young lads would both love a motorcycle and this would be another possibility in NZ.
    NZ is a motorcycling paradise. I have a big adventure/trail bike (DR 650) that I have used to tour the country extensively. There are heaps of gravel roads if you want to go that way, and also heaps of legal places to go off-roading if MX/Enduro or even trail riding is your thing. On my last tour of the South Island I did 3000 kms in two weeks with 3 Harley riders from the US - they were blown away by the scenery, the way the scenery seemed to change every hour or so, and the complete absence of traffic - except for a little conjestion around ChCh, the South Island just doesn't seem to have any traffic! There were some roads we rode for 30 mins before seeing another vehicle - unbelievable.........So yes, it's a very bike friendly country.

Is the North Island similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Is the North Island similar?
    Yes pretty much for off-roading, for road riding, most of NZ lives in the N.I, so there is much more traffic, and the scenery isn't as stunning as the S.I, but there are still some really nice roads, and interesting places to go. Quads are also very popular and there is a huge selection of both Jap and Chinese brands available, I picked up a brand new 50 cc Chinese quad for my 6 year old for $350, now that's cheap - it would cost $1600 for a new Suzuki 50 cc quad.

Theres this event i saw a poster for this weekend, sadly i cant make that weekend else i would go myself...

http://www.britishdirt.co.nz/