Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mail Redirection

You can have mail sent directly to a post office and collect it directly from there.
    It's called Poste Restante and most post offices in NZ provide the service. I always had my mail sent via this method when travelling, and then once you have an address you can advise your redirection service to send to that.

and you can have a po box before you arrive. although it needs to be requested by a person in NZ - can't be done over the phone. we asked someone to open one before we arrived, we were issued with our PO box number before we left the UK, so sorted out our mail redirection before we left, then when we arrived, we went to the post office, showed our ID, paid for the box and were given the key and could collect the mail that had arrived in the meantime

not good if you know no-one out here, but if you have a friendly contact, they could do it for you.

We ordered a PO Box no in Auckland prior to coming over by sending a fax. They told us the no that they had reserved and we paid for it when we got here. We didn't need any contact in NZ.

we were in the same position yet used the UK facility called 'Keepsafe'??
    basically the Post office held all mail for us until we could give them a forwarding address.Worked a treat.

Did have problems with the subsequent International Redirection though! Lots of stuff missent to Thailand, plus the Royal Mail suddenly changed their labels on us so instead of 'Apt 312', we got 'Apt 32'. Caused no end of problems. Many late night calls to contact centres etc etc. Having to set up a re-direct for my business mail and a my UK PO Box also managed to confuse them somewhat. We actually had a letter forwarded from our old UK address by the new owners, confirming all the details of a renewed redirection (if that makes sense??) ie they hadn't twigged that we weren't there anymore, despit having sent our mail half-way around the world for 3 months.

We've recently moved to another place in Wellington and have to say that the NZ Redirect system has been very easy to set up, plus seems to be working a treat!

thanks all - thats really useful info!

Hi CJ22,

Immigration NZ sent me a pamphlet the other day entitled "Things to do before you leave for New Zealand". In it is a section which says you can set up a postal box before you leave, with links to NZPost and Private Box.

Private Box don't appear to require any ID checks.
    http://www.privatebox.co.nz/immigrat...ewzddress.html

Excellent! Thanks all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12