Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for fine artists

Default Advice for fine artists

I am a 40 year old fine artist. A painter and printmaker who has a long exhibition record as well as over ten years teaching experience (painting, drawing, etching, etc) who will be making the move to NZ in the next year or so. Any words of advice for an American artist setting up shop would be most appreciated. Jobs, galleries, festivals for individual artists to set up booths, teaching opps. Look forward to any and all the insights folks can muster. Take care.

Being such a personal expression, the actual art is usually best done without too much concern about what others are doing/what media they use/what marketing they are doing. That having been said, I understand that once your art has been created, then it becomes a vital step in the success of your art as a commercial venture to know your market. Two completely different approaches which an artist who derives income from their work has to be in control of all the time.

I am certain that Printman knows this, but for the benefit of other contributors this is the main reason that many artists do not succeed. Most either focus on the product and the selling of it and fail to achieve "soul" in their work, or are so consumed by expressing themselves that they fail to understand business (the latter is the more common artist...they are artistic but lack practical business skills or feel uncomfortable trying to value their work in terms of money).

The point being that if you are one of the few who is able to cope with both sides, then you are likely to succeed as an artist wherever there is a fair sized number of people to buy your work. In New Zealand's case the number of people is limited, and many are not driven by buying consumer luxuries such as paintings, however their is a huge tourism market if your art is appropriate and with an open trade agreement with Australia the resident market is arguably much bigger.

Galleries are common in NZ in the main centres, but seem less so in smaller townships. Most have at least one, but seldom of the caliber that you find in the cities. But if your art has a niche, has presence (in terms of the impact of any individual piece) then sales will follow. But like anything, the sales must be driven by a business model which includes knowing your market, pricing correctly, having a brand image, being professional in dealing with your agents and purchasers and having sound in-house management skills regarding money, time and emotion.

Since most artists like to operate as one-person businesses, the reasons many struggle should be evident, and the reason that a few are very successful should also be apparent. It all comes down to having a balance of ability and understanding where your weaknesses lie so that you can outsource these weakness areas whereever possible.

This post is a start. It isn't nuts and bolts "use this gallery" type information but hopefully paints a picture (no pun intended) of the aspects which artists must understand before setting up shop.

Default thanks

I appreciate your thoughts ourquest. The fine line between the work and the business is indeed a challenging one to walk. Thus far, I think I have been able to manage it well enough and believe this will serve me well wherever I end up. My work can be viewed at my website to give you and others a better sense of its marketability through various NZ venues, including the tourist market. This is not intended to be self promotion....

http://www.mikesouthern.com

Cheers and thanks for the feedback

I'm sure you're well capable of finding this yourself, printman, but here's a list of venues in the Auckland area. http://www.zeroland.co.nz/auckland_art_galleries.html

We visited Auckland last August/September. There are galleries/shops in many sales districts dealing in visual arts, not just the main central high status area (around the Viaduct). I'd guess this is because of the tourist trade, as much as for local buyers. At least it looked as if there must be people out there with an interest in art.

Ourquest, that's a great analysis of the situation of any artist who wants to sell his work (writer speaking).

Nelson, and the area around it, has a lot of artists and craftspeople. There are several galleries, plus lots of people who exhibit in their homes; there's a famous large weekly craft market in the centre of Nelson; and local Art Trails. Also the area is well-known to tourists and New Zealanders as the major region for arts and crafts in NZ so lots of people go to the area specifically to see, and buy, the art. Plus Nelson is in a beautiful location and well away from the big cities.

I've heard about Nelson's art scene and it is on our list of places to check into. Thanks so much.

Just browsed your site Printman (Mike). Great work. Atmospheric, loose and relevant. And easily applied to the landscape of NZ if that's your plan. I will look forward to your exhibitions in NZ in the years to come, and wish you great success in any form that you measure it in (and with sufficient commercial success too of course).

Thanks again "ourquest". I look forward to introducing the work to the fine people of New Zealand in the next year or so! It's been changing dramatically so the prospects are exciting.

Good luck with all your plans, and I hope you'll keep us posted.

Re Nelson area, quite a few of the local cafes have exhibitions in them plus many artists open up their studios to the public and there are numerous leaflets available re various art & craft trails. Also many local craft fairs which are always asking for people to exhibit/sell. The craft market which someone else mentioned is fantastic but doesn't have much art of the painted/sketched variety, it's mainly things like wood turning, pottery, hand made jewellery etc plus loads of unusual things. Not to say that paintings wouldn't sell there but it's more of a high quality gift outlet, ie lots of tourists buy presents/souvenirs there who might not necessarily buy larger items such as paintings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast