Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Is New Zealand driving as bad as they say it is?

Quote Originally Posted by zardell View Post
    As a car driver turning left at a set of traffic lights, be aware of pedestrians crossing the road that you are about to turn into - yes, they get a green to cross as you get a green to turn.

Strange, but true...

Julie

xx
    How do you react in this situation? Would you start to turn then give way at the crossing or would you sit tight at your green light until the pedestrians have crossed before turning left?

Is it only ever from a left turn?

You start to turn - then give way.

It's madness.

Quote Originally Posted by tomo1340 View Post
    How do you react in this situation? Would you start to turn then give way at the crossing or would you sit tight at your green light until the pedestrians have crossed before turning left?

Is it only ever from a left turn?

It's no different than UK if you think about it, the rule there is and always has been that a driver must give way to pedestrians.

For example, if you were turning left into a side road from a major road and you had started to turn, would you not give way to the pedestrian who was crossing that side road once he came into your field of vision?

The difference in NZ is that they have green lights to remind the pedestrian that as he crosses he may get run over with the car driver entering his road...

Something for you to look forward to Tomo...

Julie

xx

Quote Originally Posted by zardell View Post
    As a car driver turning left at a set of traffic lights, be aware of pedestrians crossing the road that you are about to turn into - yes, they get a green to cross as you get a green to turn.
    Is there a specific green light for left turns (which I'm equating to right turns in the US)? Otherwise it seems the same as the US- everyone gets green and you just have to yield when someone is in the crosswalk.

I have become a much more "aware" driver here......because I now just assume that every single other person on the road is a complete *****r and has no idea how to drive or indicate
    Yep, that's my philosophy, and it works!

Hey had 2 guys today let me pullout with my milk truck.... perhaps there is hope after all

They don't have unprotected turns in NZ. In other words when you turn right you always have a right arrow, when you turn left it's always with a green light because there is no left on red after stop allowed in NZ. However what you often have is a seperate left turn lane seperated by an island and then there is no light for you, just a give way sign. I don't recall seeing any left turn arrows, they must exist but they must be rare.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789