Thread: Expensive Post???

Default Expensive Post???

Hi all.,

My mum has been trying to price up how much it will be to send over birthday gifts and apparently Royal Mail charge 35.00 per KG...this seems very STEEP. Mum is striggling as it is with us being over here and now she is saying, 'I won't even be able to afford to send over gifts, it will be too expensive, we'll just have to exchange cards'...

Is it that dear? Surely not????

You must all get parcels and have an idea of cost???

I told my mum I'd ask you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

J xx

We found royal mail very expensive. The family now use either Fedex or DHL to send stuff over. It is far cheaper, and also much quicker and more reliable. Being a courier service they DO actually get you to sign for receipt, unlike NZ parcel service that just leave stuff outside our front door, regardless of whether you have paid for 'sign on delivery' secure postage . Other advantage is that people in UK do not have to trapse down to PO with a parcel as the courier pick it up from your home or work. MIL sent us a parcel last week by Fedex. It was picked up her monday morning and arrived here our tuesday afternoon

Jade

Aw poor Mum! The royal mail have told her wrong. It's about 11 pounds to send 1kg airmail to NZ. I wonder if they've priced for airsure (which is airmail signed for) instead? But that should be only the cost of airmail plus about 4 pounds for the signature.

Here's the calculator page I use, NZ is zone 2. http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...2&catId=400036

My parents send parcels and the rate is no where near 35 quid! The last box which had xmas pressies in was around 7 pounds and contained quite a lot of stuff.

Warn her that it is cheaper to send surface but it takes around 10 12 weeks to get here...... ok if she can plan that far ahead. But TBH it's not that much cheaper!

Forgot to say she can always do up a parcel and take it to the PO to be weighed. That way she can get a frim price and always go home and jiggle about with the contents and packing.

Thanks for responses....anyone else any advice??

Hey Jade
    I just got a couple of parcels delivered - couple of tops from next and some pyjamas plus birthday cards and costs 7 & 5.90. I suppose it all depends on what your Mum wants to send. I think it's cheaper to send send smaller lighter items though

Hopeypu get some nice pressies
    Karenx

Thanks Karen xxx I hope I get some nice prezzies too!!

Jade - probably a different thing as your mum will want to send you stuff from the UK but for my grandson I get my DIL to find something online in NZ and I order and pay for it from here. I always get nice toys for my grandson and don't have to post them that way!

Bx