Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cellphones - quick, dirty and cheap?

Default Cellphones - quick, dirty and cheap?

When we arrive in NZ, our cellphone contracts will be subsidized by our employer. However, since we won't be starting work for a while after we arrive, but we WILL be house-hunting etc., we will want a quick and cheap cellphone solution that we can discard once our contract phones are sorted out.

Is it possible to just buy a pre-paid phone with credit, that can be fired up straight away, that is cheap enough to discard after a month?

I've seen on ebay.au people selling registered NZ sim cards ready to plug into a GSM phone (without credit). This seems like a lot of effort to go to - does this imply it's difficult to buy an out-of-the-box solution in NZ?

You can buy cheap mobile phones from many retails from about NZ$70 upward.

Depends on the offer, some may have a connection pack included with some 'free' credit ready to go, for others you will have to buy some credit which you can also do on the phone itself or from many shops.

The main providers are Vodafone and Telecom, so you can check on their websites for more details.

Ian

yeah i looked at the vodafone.nz website and was left m6reo confused than when I started! not the most user-friendly expeience (mind you the ukk one is just as bad!)

thanksfor the links/replies

Quote Originally Posted by dusk View Post
    yeah i looked at the vodafone.nz website and was left m6reo confused than when I started! not the most user-friendly expeience (mind you the ukk one is just as bad!)

thanksfor the links/replies
    You could also try Dick Smith Electronic to see the phones available.

If you can't buy an out of the box solution, then the shop will always have the connection pack as well, so this isn't a problem.

Ian

Good spot Carol. Interesting though innit? In the UK, I don't think anybody would bother reselling a third-hand cheapo cellphone.

However, it doesn't strike me as that quick, if it has to be delivered. But if it happened to be in Auckland and the vendor allowed pick-ups (they don't have to, obviously).

I was just kinda hoping you could walk up to a phone stall, pay maybe $60 and walk away with a working cellphone.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    I was just kinda hoping you could walk up to a phone stall, pay maybe $60 and walk away with a working cellphone.
    You can do this, although it will be more than $60. Plan on $80-$100 for the phone and whatever you want to add in terms of credit. Telecom and Vodafone shops are everywhere. Easy peasy.

I'm not sure if you are flying into Auckland but if you are, then there is this place at the airport:

http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/Sh...php?shop_id=47

Is that quick enough?

I notice there is an email address so you could always try contacting them to see what offers they currently have.

Cheers

Tia

PS I think you can just buy a NZ sim from them to use in an existing UK phone, plus pay for your calls.

Check out this thread:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10631

Cheers

Tia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast