Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does NZ have any good cider?

Default Does NZ have any good cider?

I visited the Filter Room in Hawke's Bay last year and picked up some stuff. They told me it was unavailable anywhere else. Within a few months it was in every supermarket. A shame really, as it wasn't awfully good.
    I would have thought that with the fruit industry in NZ there would be some good zoiderr. I saw one from Central Otago the other day called "wild" cider. Is this any good?

Any recommendations in general? I prefer dry cider.

None... I do drink it but havent found a good one, apart from at the pub at Sylvia park that sell an imported Westons bottled one.

There was a thread ages ago, but I cant find it now...

Picked up some Bulmers Original in Smack and Pav the other day

Quote Originally Posted by Potato View Post
    I visited the Filter Room in Hawke's Bay last year and picked up some stuff. They told me it was unavailable anywhere else. Within a few months it was in every supermarket. A shame really, as it wasn't awfully good.
    I would have thought that with the fruit industry in NZ there would be some good zoiderr. I saw one from Central Otago the other day called "wild" cider. Is this any good?

Any recommendations in general? I prefer dry cider.
    Have you tried the Dog and Bone on Lambton Quay, they do a dry cider on draught which isn't too bad.

I am also quite liking Harvest premium new zealand cider which is a white cider and available from most supermarkets.

Ian

The Craic (Dunedin's Otagon) sell Bulmers on draught.....VERY nice!! Also do a great Irish stew, great place for a quick drink after work!!

There's a crowd near Nelson called Redwood Cellars that make some very good cider (amongst other things). Not sure how available it is, but since it's made here you shuld be able to find someone that'll sell it.
    My favourite is a Normandy style French cider they make

Well, forget my suggestion of syliva Park for some westons, they dont do it any more! Humph.

Might have to look at some other sources!

Thanks for all the recommendations. I did see Westons on sale at Fresh Choice in Nelson once. I was quite shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The Craic (Dunedin's Otagon) sell Bulmers on draught.....VERY nice!! Also do a great Irish stew, great place for a quick drink after work!!
    irish bulmers or english bulmers? a very important question according to my man

Quote Originally Posted by ellenmelon View Post
    irish bulmers or english bulmers? a very important question according to my man
    It certainly is a very important question! Is Irish Bulmers the same as Magners? If so, personally I'd stay well clear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast