Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Years Educator Looking to apply

Default Early Years Educator Looking to apply

Little bit confused!!
    Anyone have any idea of level achieved for a Foundation Degree in Early Childhood studies. Already had a NVQ3 assessed as level 5 by NZQA, Couple of years ago. I know that i require a level 7, and have been looking at similar quals in NZ, they seem to only need a diploma!! I also have 8 years experience working as a Nursery Nurse, 3 of them as a Manager. Any help appreciated

Hi

I was under the impression that unless you had the NZ Early Year Teacher qualification, you probably have to do further training in NZ, as there is no UK equivalent. This is one of the questions I am going to ask at the Expo in London.

I am hoping to get into early years education in NZ eventually. I finish my degree this year, and one NZ uni I emailed said I might be able to just do the final year to top up to early years teacher status.

Sorry I don't know any more, but it does seem to be a specific qualification they are looking for.

Helen

Thanks for that Helen,
    I don't mind doing further training, but i am frustrated, the Foundation Degree that I am doing is route specific and is a job based university qualification for exactly the same job. How can anybody work in NZ if you can't get the teacher qualification over here ?
    It also seems like it could also be very frustrating dealing with The mysterious NZQA.
    Ann

the Foundation Degree that I am doing is route specific and is a job based university qualification for exactly the same job.
    Is it fairly new? If so, it might be worth asking the NZQA specifically about it, giving them all the details. Maybe nobody has asked about its equivalence before.

Hiya JandM,

The Foundation Degree was established in 2000, so it is relatively new, Thanks for the advice. I wonder if any one has actually had NZQA check a Foundation degree.

Ann

Go ahead and try. There seems to be a bit of a daft situation with masses of Early Childhood vacancies but no-one except NZ'ers can be offered them as the ECE diploma is only available in NZ. I have applied to study for a year to gain the Grauate diploma in ECE but have been told there are very few places available! So how will all the vacancies be filled? As a trained primary teacher with experience in nurseries and pre-schools as well, its very frustrating to be told by managers of EC centres that they'd love to employ me but can't til I have NZ EC qualification, as they would receive no funding if they did.
    So this is the situaion and by 2012 all staff working in EC HAVE to have the ECE qual......wonder how ?! I really don't know what else to try.....

But hey Good Luck!

It seems that trying to get a job in early childhood education is going to be difficult. If it's unlikely I will be able to get qualified as an Early Years Teacher, due to lack of spaces on the course I am going to be really stuck.

I am either going to have to change my future career plans, or forget about NZ altogether. It's all soooooo frustrating. I really don't think we can go to NZ knowing I won't be able to get a job working with young children as that is what I have been working towards for some time. Knowing the jobs are there makes it so much more frustrating. I feel my NZ dream drifting away.

Carey, I'd love to hear how you get on with your application for further training as this was the route I had hoped to take (maybe it isn't going to be so easy?) do keep us posted, and good luck!

Helen

There is hope you lot!!!! I've got a job in early years!!!

I will do a bit of asking around about the nz qualification...

What usually happens is that you are employed on a lower rate...apply for nzqa/teacher reg and normally you would get 'provisionally registered'. You then have to complete a work book with various competancies...which is a doddle if you have qual and experience. The organisation receive funding for you to do the qual....I think I have written about this on another post???

The key is to be over here and meeting these people, thats how nz seems to work..I know that is risky as your potentially coming over without a job....but from my experience, if you can submit an application and they can chat to you you have far more chance. It is obviously more of an inconvenience employing a brit that needs further quals, if there is a kiwi fully qualified in the country...that said....a lot of employers would welcome such high quals/experiences/standards from the brits and feel the extra training/expense is worth it.

Unhappy

Just been looking on kiwiquals at early years courses!!

Seems to me that the minimum qualification to achieve level 7, is a diploma in teaching (Early Childhood Education) at a polytechnic in NZ.
    How can it be that they may consider a higher level qualification from a University and doing the same job from the UK to be of a lesser level?

I have also seen that when googling foundation degree, it comes back with
    a foundation year reference in New Zealand Universities, first year of a degree(hope they they don't think it's the same thing) A Foundation degree in the uk leads to the third year of a Ba honours!!.

Crazy!!!!

Suppose I won't know for definate 'till I can send my certificate to NZQA when I have finished in next month or so.

Ann

Ann,

The quals over here are different...in the UK a diploma is a 2 year course that you might do after completing your GCSE's...in NZ, a Dilpoma is a 3 year quite intensive course and viewed like a degree in the UK....I think!!!

Thats where it gets a little complicated....as they have different names for different levels than in the UK.

Are you planning on doing the final BA year or do you plan to come over with Foundation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast