Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working with children

Default Working with children

I just wondered if there are many jobs working with children in NZ, apart from the teaching jobs?
    It is becoming apparent that the job I really want, may be just out of reach, so as a plan B, I am wondering if there are other opportunities which don't require the NZ only qualification for Early Years Teachers.

If anyone has a crumb of hope, please send it this way!!

Helen

Hi Helen,

What qualification do you have??
    Also experience?

J

pm if prefer

Hi

Well I am in the final year of a degree in Childhood and Youth Studies, which has been a mixture of child psychology, child development, social and cultural studies of childhood etc. Experience is my downfall really, I have three children, so haven't had much time to get paid work experience. I have done quite a bit of voluntary work in a primary school, with all ages up to 9. I can get references for this, but like I say I have no paid employment history working with children.

Hope this is ok?

Helen

What age group does this qual cover?...is it early childhood?? 0-8 years?

It's 0-18. I started it originally with primary teaching in mind, and have been told by teacher training providers here they would accept it for primary teaching.
    I think it is going to be one of those annoying things which holds us back, as we didn't want to moe to NZ without us both in work after the first year or two.

I should have said I did contact the NZ teacher training people, who said I may be able to do an extra year for the ECE qualification, but someone else with more experience etc than me, has said they were told there were limited spaces.

You would have to get it assessed...if you want me to be totally honest I think you may experience some difficulties as it is 0-18 yrs...for early childhood they like the study and experience to be specifically related to 0-8 years.

When do you move out here? Can you fit in any paid PT experience in EYE before you come? It may be worth emailing Kindergartens in NZ, telling them your quals and seeing what they say....

There may have been limited places when the person you know applied...but who knows now??? EYE is up and coming in NZ and is recognised as an important career and profession...I am sure you would get on a course. Where are you moving too??

I think if you did the specific year related to EYE, your chances of employment and getting registered would increased ten fold.

Thanks for your help, we are still in the early planning stages so no plans properly started yet. We would have to sell our house if we wanted to make the move so are doing LOTS of research. Finding out I might have trouble getting a job might just be the end of the dream.

Better to find out now, than before we sell up though.

We are off to the Expo in April, so I will ask there before I totally give up. Being on the final course of my degree, I really don't want to have to start again with something new.

Oh well, that's why were doing so much research!

Helen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast