Thread: Nursing Registration requirements, UK to NZ

Question Nursing Registration requirements, UK to NZ

Hello all
    I'm almost 50, and will be doing a return to nursing course here in the UK this September, hoping to back on the register by next February. My husband and I want to then emigrate to NZ with me as principal applicant. My nursing qualification is RGN plain & simple, no diploma or degree. I do have 16 years experience, but left in 1999. Can anyone tell me whether I'd be wasting my time applying, either because of my age or my 'outdated' qualification? Any info/advice gratefully received!

Don't know about the "outdated" qualification, your biggest problem might be tracking down a transcript! Degrees / Diplomas are still a fairly recent thing, they were still training old fashioned nurses in the early 90s where I'm from, so you can't be that much of a rarity.
    I work with quite a few nurses in their 60s, one of whom is 65 and another 67. In the UK they were all mostly being pensioned off in their late 50s and all retired at 60, so you're definitely not too old for NZ!
    Maybe you could make some casual enquiries at the NZNC or some of the DHBs / agencies and see what they say?
    Regards
    K

Go for it.........

I trained in 1979-1982 and my school of nursing doesn't exist any more!!!! but was still able to track down my transcript of training.

There is a dire shortage of nurses in NZ so you should have no problem finding work, enjoy the ride

Clare

Hi Jane&Dom

It may be worth emailing/calling the NZ Nursing Council...this is the website

http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/

I emailed them to ask if my qualification was recognised and registerable (RNLD)..they will be able to tell you if you would be recognised as a 1st level nurse etc. I see no problem with it especially if you're doing the return to nursing programme. As benandclare so rightly said...

There is a dire shortage of nurses in NZ so you should have no problem finding work
    Good Luck

Sue

Ohh, another thing to consider would be post return to nurse course experience....because of the break, I'm not sure how they would calculate your years of experience! Does that make sense? Again, I'm sure that the NZNC would be able to help with queries.

Also, the NZIS

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/

Sue

Thank you all very much - your info is helpful and encouraging! I will e-mail the NZ nursing council for a start. Luckily I still have my original transcript (er, somewhere!)
    Jane