Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just to top it off................

Oh Jade so sorry for your trauma and discomfort! It's not nice going to the dentist for anything really. Hope you feel a little bit better in the morning xxx

Don't know if this helps anyone, but a friend of mine was terrified of dentists, and it wasn't until she had a huge absess that made her look like a demented hamster she had to be forced into going. She was really nervous, shaking, cold sweats etc, but had saw a hypnotist and it really helped her.

I am sceptical about hypnosis, but then I have never tried, but it certainly made a difference to her.

Hope you feel better soon Jade,

Helen

Eldest had a root canal done last year at a cost of $2,500. Luckily as she is a minor it was paid for by the powers that be, otherwise i would have told the dentist to pull it. Take the extraction option, and keep those bucks for something more useful.

Just as a footnote. Waz some good old whisky on it for the pain whilst your waiting.

Kim

Awww, I hope you feel better soon. xx

Oh Jade,

hope you are feeling better soon!! I had an absess on my tooth that ended up needing root filling and the pain was awful.

Once I had antibiotics, and strong pain killers (dentist prescribed) it was a lot better, and the actual root filling was a breeze, after the trouble with the gum.

I am sure that it will go well for you.

Hels

Unhappy Oh no !

So sorry to hear about your dental problems Jade, that's just awful !

Being totally terrified of dental procedures myself, I can certainly relate ! Had my fill with 11 crowns and a bridge (including two root canals !), all done in the space of 1 1/2 years, and with a dentist I wasn't at all comfortable with !

Must admit though, I did get used to it (to a certain degree) after a while of going to the dentist every so many weeks. Holding a soft plush toy in my hands helped to calm me and stop me from cramping and squeezing my hands till they bled !

Also wanted to say that the last time I had a tooth pulled, I was told to only use Paracetamol rather than Ibuprofen (my preferred pain relief), since apparently Ibuprofen can cause excessive bleeding ? Might be worth checking out with the dentist...

I have the two back molars missing, on the left bottom side of my mouth, and a bridge covering the front two. It's been that way for a couple of years now, but surprisingly enough, doesn't bother me with eating/chewing at all (don't even notice it anymore).

I have been told though, that it can have an adverse effect on the molars above the removed ones, but I just couldn't stomach the invasive implantation procedures necessary to replace the two missing molars (or the cost for that matter !) at the time.

Anyway, not sure if any of this is helpful at all , but the very best of luck and I hope you feel better very soon.

Silver
    Last edited by Silverwing86; 5th March 2008 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes :-(

Hi,

As an ex dental nurse I would always always try to save the tooth. Once you start loosing teeth your gum and jaw bones start to recede and in many cases make you look older than you really are, especially if front teeth are missing. This is also if you have dentures the gums still receeds hence people need to keep having dentures tightened/refitted etc.

Adults have 32 teeth including wisdom teeth. Many have those taken out if there isn't enough room, like me. After you 4th incisor (going off memeory) you generally have 3 molars top and bottom (not including wisdom teeth).

I unfortunately had to have a tooth (molar) removed after root canal but that was mainly caused through pregnancy as your calcium levels drop like a stone. Thats why pregnant women get free treatment on the NHS.

I agree with hypnotherapy it can work very well.

Good luck

Jo

Big hugs Jade! I have had root canal too (although in S Africa) and am still alive to tell the tale - as long as you have a gentle and undersanding dentist it's not so bad.

I'm with the whisky vote myself!

Bx

Oh Jade you poor thing - big hugs
    my only comment is that I can thoroughly recommend sedation - I had a wisdon tooth out whilst under sedation in local hosp and I cannot remember anything for 5 mins of my life - its just like having a five huge gin and tonics Apparently I was singing when I was waking up!

Default second opinion?

Hi Jade

Sorry to hear about your toothache- it's horrible. I've had problems getting a dentist in the Uk and ended up going to a second dentist as the first was supposed to be NHS but recommeneded really expensive treatment. The second one had a totally different approach and suggested different teeth needed filling (and charged me 1/3rd of what the first wanted). Is it worth trying someone different? It's a lot of money so getting another 'quote' might help.

good luck.

JoolzR

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast