Thread: UK Fixed-Term Contracts

Default UK Fixed-Term Contracts

Hello!

Can anybody help me:

When immigrating, is there a way of getting out of fixed contracts (e.g. Sky, mobile phone, gym membership etc.) or are you expected to buy yourself out of the contract?

What have other people done?

I don't want to leave owing these companies money but at the same time I think it might end up costing a lot of money and I'm sure the companies in question couldn't give two hoots that I'm leaving the country!

Many thanks

It can be just pot luck, I cancelled my BT broadband line today, and BT tried to instance I had a 12 month contract finishing in June, which was nonsense as I'd never agreed a new contract after the initial 12 month period when my line was installed some 3 years ago.

After some 50mins (yes, thankfully it was freephone no. & I had it on loud speaker and was able to do other things) switched between different departments I managed to get it cancelled FOC.

I've also gym membership, but it's a small fee and pay as you go, so I'm not too bothered about cancelling it.

We had to stump up cash to cancel BT broadband (still within contract) but nothing else..

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate cake View Post
    ................. and BT tried to instance I had a 12 month contract finishing in June, .............
    typo above and there doesn't seem to be any way to edit my original post, should read '...BT tried to insist...'