Thread: Working for Correctional Services

Default Working for Correctional Services

I have been offered a job in Correctional Services for $41,000.00 pa

is it worth it?, some people told it's quite good and the correctional officers are respected like the police

I also heard that if you work for the government you get your PR sticker earlier

Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    I have been offered a job in Correctional Services for $41,000.00 pa

is it worth it?, some people told it's quite good and the correctional officers are respected like the police

I also heard that if you work for the government you get your PR sticker earlier

Hi Stevie

Our neighbour worked in the prison in Wanganui. He was a teacher in the UK, then in NZ and left that to be a CO.

For him as the sole income for the family, the money was poor and as he did a lot of shift work, meaning he didn't see a lot of his family either. He's just returned to teaching again for better hours and pay.

If you need any questions answering, just PM me and I'll happily ask him for you.

You could be working with colleagues who have criminal records according to todays paper

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10497150

A man with a significant criminal conviction has been employed as a prison officer at the Otago Corrections Facility since November last year after the conviction went undetected.
    The Corrections Department declined to reveal details of the man's offending but it is understood it was violence-related.
    Stevie;

I spoke to my neighbour who said you'd be much better off applying to be a police officer. CO is a completely different job to being a police officer. Their salary is low to begin with while training though, I think around $30,000.

HTH

thank you smiler

the lady getting us over is lining up some jobs, I will see what there is, but I am definately coming over in august.

At worst I will take the CO job for six months then move on

cheers Stevie

Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    thank you smiler

the lady getting us over is lining up some jobs, I will see what there is, but I am definately coming over in august.

At worst I will take the CO job for six months then move on

cheers Stevie
    Good idea let me know if you need any other answers, I'm happy to ask my neighbour.

He has fascinating stories from the inside, like how prisoners dry the 'strings' from banana's and smoke them!

Hi Stevie, if you're bringing a family, $41,000 won't be a lot to live on. You would be entitled to tax credits straight away.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/fil...ir271-2008.pdf

http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/fil...ir271-2008.pdf

Hi Stevie, we are looking to follow that same route as a correction officer in New Zealand. We are from Sedgefield (Knysna) in South Africa and planning to go by Aug/Sept. Could we make contact and share info?

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Anina, if you make more posts, after you've done 5, you'll be able to use PMs to contact Stevie and the others.

hi smiler,

did your teacher friend try teacing in the prison? are they any better paid than the CO's