View Poll Results: How long did it take to get a job offer after your move to NZ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Already had a job offer before leaving for NZ

12 66.67%
  • Within a month after arriving

5 27.78%
  • Within three months after arriving

1 5.56%
  • Within six month after arriving

0 0%
  • More than six months after arriving

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take to get a job?

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

Default How long did it take to get a job?

I was wondering how long it took for you guys who went to New Zealand to get a job?

How easy was it or how difficult was it?

Shagen

I ticked "A month after arriving" although this isn't strictly true... we didn't start looking until we'd been here a couple of months, so I based my answer on how long it took after we started looking!

Warren applied for 2 jobs from the paper and 1 via an agent. He was offered all 3 :P From application to contract was almost exactly 4 weeks with most of the time taken up with their interview processes.. he had his interview in the morning and was offered the job before he got home!

Been here nearly 3 months and I am still looking
    OH got a job before coming out.
    Been applying for loads (office type work) not even getting any replies to most
    Got some work in a fortnight for a fortnight at the garage where we bought our cars from , the manager of the garage is also our landlord of the house we rent
    So yes I am finding it difficult

Jules

I've applied for quite a few, even though I'm still in the US. Most were very polite and inquired when I would be in NZ. I even got a personally signed letter from the Ministry of Health, saying no and please keep trying, which I will.

Never hurts to try...

I think I have been quite fortunate in having the skills I posses from experience in the UK, but there was a time when we had considered me taking a step down and taking up a completly different role.

To come to NZ and to expect jobs to be thrown at you is not to be expected - like everywhere else its competitive.

eric was one of the lucky ones I guess. He had a job offer in late Feb 2004. they waited until august 2004 before we could get out here. A six month wait on their part, but worth it....

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

Perhaps I shodul add one more line to the poll.

"Still unemployed (not by choice"

But how do you do that?

Shagen

I voted on the first option even though i ain't there yet. Am waiting for house to sell. I am quite lucky as my profession there isn't much competitiveness in fact there is a shortage worldwide.......HGV driving. Job offer been on table for 7 months now and its an open one.

Kim

I ticked 'within a month after arriving' but Dave got 3 job offers when we were here on holiday. We flew home and he flew back a month later after giving notice in the UK. He was offered the jobs within the week - the one he has now within the hour after the interview :eek

NE England, hopefully West Auckland 2005, as soon as house sells in UK

My job offer was made in June 04, with an estimated arrival date of January 2005.

It's now February. and we still have not got a buyer for the house, however my future employer Auckland District Health Board, have now left the start date open....nurses obviously are in short supply.

My future boss has told me there are many nurses (like me) who are in the same situation as us, and they are prepared to be very patient (thank god!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast