Thread: Registered childminder

Default Registered childminder

Does anyone know what the legal requirements of becoming a childminder are in NZ?????

There are regular inspections and courses you HAVE to go to in GB but no qualifications required.

Is there a need for a childminder?

Looking at all my options, if a part time job that meets my needs is not found when we get settled.

Jan xx

Hi Jan

They are always advertising for childminders (caregivers) here in whangarei. That may just be a local shortage, I am not sure.

I just had a look in yesterdays paper and cannot find one of their ads, but I will have a look in some more I have later and let you know any details.

Barnados do a kidstart thing which is basically childminding, so their website may be worth a look.

This is somehting I had considered myself, just wasn't sure how it would fit in with my children?! Or even if it was cost effective since I would imagine you have to have certain degree of available toys and I am not sure how I would feel about other children playing with our toys!

Will let you know if I find anything

Amanda

Thankyou Amanda.

I work part time at the moment 8.30 - 1 pm, mon - thurs. Hardly a job but it gets me out of the house. I will look for a job when we are settled but don't hold my breath.

I think Iv'e got those rose tinted glasses on because I quite like the idea of looking after kids whose parents need someone like me, to go to work. My mum is one, and a real gem at that.

I can see myself with a kid or two going for nice long leisurely walks.
    We are coming to the North Shore, Orewa. Nice beach.

I will see how things pan out when we arrive.

Jan xx

hello jan there are two that i know of first one is PORSE alot like the ncma in the uk, lots to learn as they have a different system of learning and the wages are crap, no start up grant .and you need to be a resident.
    second one is KIDS FIRST again like the ncma in the uk really crap wages $4.00 per hour and you cant charge more then that and $2.45 YOU WILL BE TAXED ON. and again you have to be a resident
    i think that if you want to call yourself a childminder you have to be registered with one of these due to legal requirements but not if you are a family member or doing it as a one off.
    if you do it in their home you have to call your self a nanny and have a contract with the parents.
    they both have web sites if you need more info let me know.

Thankyou for that Liz.

I am deffo going to try to get myself a little job first but will look into the whole process when we are settled.

Jan xx