Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TomTom Map of NZ

Question TomTom Map of NZ

Was wondering if anyone has picked up a TomTom map of NZ, in New Zealand. That is, are they readily available? Considering buyng one here in Canada before we leave, as it's much cheaper, even adding on an NZ map. Just trying to find out which is the most readily available (keep trying the TomTom website, but they are continually updating their store!). My next choice would be a Garmin.....anyone have any ideas on that???

I've always used TomTom - consistently rated as having the best UI (User Interfaces) of all the SatNav packages, and has very good map coverage worldwide. Their NZ maps were only introduced late last year. I used to have TomTom loaded on a PPC, but now have a dedicated PND - the TomTom 720 which I have been very impressed with.

The only other package which offers NZ maps that I'm aware of is Navman - incidentally a NZ company. I used their product on a PPC too, and didn't like it.

I don't think you can get tomtom nz maps for ppc's otherise I would snap one up straight away even though I am not there. I think I have Navman somewhere although I don't have a NZ map for it and I don't think they sell them anymore.

Tomtom have a common code base across all hardware platforms, so if you've got TomTom (I suspect you'll need V7) you'll be able to get the NZ maps.

Navman withdrew from the PPC market and now concentrate on PNDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    Tomtom have a common code base across all hardware platforms, so if you've got TomTom (I suspect you'll need V7) you'll be able to get the NZ maps.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a PPC and a PND?

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post

Thats just it, TomTom have no interest in releasing v7 for PPC.

Cappuccino> PPC is a pocket PC, a PDA like ipaq etc. amd PND is a device designed specifically to carry the sat nav program for instance the GO/One range from Tomtom.

Thanks for the clarification.

PND = Personal Navigation Device. Took me a while to figure that one out!!

Thanks for clearing those acronyms up. It's seems Tomtom has the market down there. Looks like I'll be going that route. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Caniwi View Post
    Thanks for clearing those acronyms up. It's seems Tomtom has the market down there. Looks like I'll be going that route. Thx
    Well, you have Navman too. Both of their future business models appear to be based on dedicated devices. It's which UI you prefer, and cost of course. Personally I prefer TomTom and am willing to pay the premium for the market leader, but Nav,an is still good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast