Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you unskilled who moved to NZ

Default For those of you unskilled who moved to NZ

I'm thinking most of you on here will be skilled in order to get your visas but for those of you who aren't, ie the partner who didn't qualify, etc. Have you looked for work since being in NZ and have you managed to find any. If so, what type of work.

I am a NZer who has lived overseas for over 13 years. I always said I'd return to NZ when I knew what I'd do for a living. But I've changed my mind and just want to be back in NZ. I have booked a flight for December but am worrying what will happen to me financially (and I'm now considering changing my flights to a later date ... something I don't want to do but I won't have savings as I don't own property in the UK and I'm throwing everything I earn this year at paying of my debts here).

While I work in the UK as a sport and remedial massage, and reflexology practitioner and have office skills, I don't know what I will do for the first 6 months or so until I can build up my client base in massage. When I look at office jobs they all seem different to what I'm used to in the UK - different skill set required.

I don't know what I could do in NZ. It is easy enought to say "take anything" but I can't see myself working in a dairy or something - not that there is anything wrong with it, just that I am used to doing office work in large organisations or working for myself.

Don't know if anyone will have anything of use to say but just typing this out has helped my state of mind a little.

By the way, I plan to live in the Nelson region - which isn't ideal workwise but if I wanted to live in a city, I'd stay in the UK.
    Last edited by randomone; 12th March 2008 at 11:42 AM.

Nothing much to say here, but all good wishes, for what happens and for peace of mind.

With your massage and reflexology skills, would it be worth Googling sports centres, health centres, spas, sports teams, etc., to look for openings?

Thanks for your good wishes.

i think I'm my own worst enemy in many ways - I'm really not a "spa" type of person and I need to work for myself. Sports centres would be okay as long as I could do it on a freelance basis. It is an option though

Just thinking - I've also seen (in NZ) a healing centre, all rooms set up for hire by freelance practitioners of alternative therapies. Like a lot of good places, that one's closed down since, as not keeping up with collecting the money due defeated the good motives of the people who set it up. But they can work. One more possibility to look out for.

Have you thought about temping in the mean time? I am sure the agency can best judge how your office skills can apply to their clients' needs.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by phatsharpie View Post
    Have you thought about temping in the mean time? I am sure the agency can best judge how your office skills can apply to their clients' needs.

-B
    Yes, I definitely thought about it but whenever I look at job descriptions they seem to want skills that aren't required in the UK (payroll, etc) but I guess there must be some positions out there - probably not in Nelson though. I guess a good place to start would be to contact agencies in Nelson now to get an idea from them as to what, if any positions may be suitable for me.

Thanks for your additional post JandM ... i appreciate the thought and it is something for me to think about but, again, it would take time to build up a client base and I'd need money coming from somewhere in the meantime.

You can try contacting Massage Institute of New Zealand and see if they can offer any guidance on massage as an occupation in NZ:

MINZI (Massage Institute of New Zealand Incorporated)
    Massage Institute of New Zealand Inc.
    P O Box 4131
    Hamilton 2030
    New Zealand

I got their info here: http://www.nzhealth.net.nz/massage/

-B

I live near Nelson and there are admin type positions advertised regularly in the Nelson Mail, and definitely not all requiring payroll experience. The main recruitment agency in town is called Fanselow Bell and they often place adverts in the paper for staff and also have someone dealing with temp assignments too. They also show some jobs on their website so I'd start by speaking to them. Re your massage etc, there are quite a lot of therapists in the area, you see little posters in shop windows everywhere plus clinics that seem to rent rooms. One thing I haven't seen much of though is reflexology. I qualified as one in the UK but due to wrist damage had to knock it on the head. There could be an opening there although there is I believe a reflexology training centre in Nelson itself so they must be around somewhere. It's not something that is obviously advertised though so with some decent advertising you could possibly begin to pick up a client list quite quickly.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help with local stuff.

thezorbster - thanks for the name of that agency in Nelson. I will definitely follow up on that! Re. the info on massage and reflexology - do you think there are too many offering massage and that would be a challenge? Just wanting your personal opinion really, not going to take it as fact but am interested in the opinion of a local. I would think the majority of those advertising would be more gentle, pampering type but perhaps I'm wrong. Thanks for your opinion on the reflexology - I've found that in the UK the demand for massage way outstrips the demand for reflexology but it is good that I have both.

Thanks again - going to look up the agency website now.

phatsharpie - thanks, I have been in touch with the Massage Institute already - they were not alot of help in that regard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast