Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a 2nd hand car - advice required!

Default Buying a 2nd hand car - advice required!

Hi all

We\re currently in Christchurch looking to purchase a car and wondered if anyone had any advice on what type of vehicle is a good bet to go for..

We're looking at a budget around $5k to $7k and need something with a bit of space.

We've looked at a Subaru Legacy - anyone got one?...

Also, looked at a Toyota Surf as seem pretty popular round here but concerned they may be pretty thirsty on fuel?...

Any help would be gratefully received!

Some people here have recommended the auctions but we no VERY little about vehicles so would be concerned that we didn't really know what to look for without a test drive first...!

I bought a car through Turners Auctions in Christchurch. They will allow you to test drive a car before buying at the auction. They will also auction cars with a Turner guarantee which guarantees mechanical defects. Before you buy anything anywhere get yourself an AA check on your car. Turners will also allow you to do this too. Worth a look. I ended up buying a Ford Focus. A lot of kiwis don't like these because the controls are on the opposite side to the Japanese cars they drive. Good luck

The Surf may well be a bit thirsty , got a Nissan X trail and struggle to get 30 mpg

Cool

I had a Subaru Forester 2.0 and loved it didn't seem to be to heavy on fuel had plenty of room in the back for the dog and the seats could fold right down to give loads of space. I would definitely have another....

Last year I bought a 2001 Mitsubishi Diamante Advance through Turners Auction in Christchurch for $3300, after paying the buyers fee, renewing the rego, buying new tires a WOF and a few minor repairs the total cost was around $4800.

I also bought a 1993 Mitsubishi Pajero 4WD through Turners for $2300, after paying the buyers fee the total was closer to $2500, I had to replace an electric window motor. The engine makes a bit of noise and leaks a bit of oil but it seems to run good and be reliable.

I purchased a few Motorbikes through Trademe and had good luck with them.

My advice is that if you have 7K to spend then buy something from Turners or Trademe for 5K and leave the other 2K as a cushion to cover any repairs it may need.

You will most likely get more car for your money by going through Turners Auction or Trademe.
    Last edited by constablechuck; 13th March 2008 at 09:14 PM.

I would certainly opt for a Legacy over a Surf, unless I were a farmer who required it for work or perhaps a Middle Eastern revolutionary in need of transport for my comrades wheedling grenade launchers. Both are very well proven and basically bullet proof.

The boxer engine fitted to the Legacy is powerful and smooth, it has been around since the early eighties so is very well proven, it also gives the car a lower center of gravity than most as it sits very low in the engine bay, but still has good ground clearance. This gives it unparalleled road holding in its class. The Surf on the other hand is a top heavy, noisy, gas guzzling, wallowing, battle cruiser great for towing the boat, however in NZ it seems to be the almost excusive preserve of diminutive urban drivers in need of booster cushions on the school run.

The negative of the Legacy is that although the engine is very smooth and very well balanced a surprising amount of noise finds its way into the cabin for a road car. In my opinion the Legacy was way ahead of its time when compared with its original competitors such as Alfa’s 33 perm4 and it still in many ways totally unparallel.

I actually doubt ether will return 30 mph, although the Legacy might, watch out for head gasket problems on ’96-’04 2.5l engined Legacys, the 2.2l or 2.0l is probably a safer bet they are good for at lest 200,000 miles. The 4wd transmission rarely gives problems if well maintained, as the majority are not likely to be NZ new, general condition will probably have to be the main indicator of this.

If you haven’t guessed it I think the Legacys an excellent vehicle, the Surf certainly has its applications but it is not really a road vehicle and therefore not really fair to compare. If you must buy a Surf please opt for a turbo diesel but remember you will have to pay road user miles on it.

I’ve been to quite a few Turners auctions and I haven’t been that impressed, with the general quality of vehicles or prices. This may only be at the venues I have visited (mainly Napier) and not indicative of Turners as a whole. However, I would personally opt for Trademe, I agree with others don’t part with your money without having the vehicle inspected by an experience mechanic totally independent to the seller.

Best Wishes
    James

Great advice James, that one's going in my documents folder

Ding! 200.

Hi

We have a Mitsibushi Lancer, paid about $14k for it, its a brilliant car and has plenty of space.

Sharon

Jamesthemechanic, how do you think the Legacy compares to the Mistubishi Legnum str (I'm too old for a VR4).
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Jamesthemechanic, how do you think the Legacy compares to the Mistubishi Legnum str (I'm too old for a VR4).
    Thanks.
    Hi Rusty,
    Personally I would opt for a Legacy over a Legnum, however the vast majority of my experience of Legacy V Surf was based on UK experience and I don’t have much experience of the Legnum/Galant or Mitsubishi in general come to that.

Mitsubishi are (like most Japanese cars) ridiculously reliable, however other than on a quick test drive, I don’t think I’ve ever driven a Legnum, so I don’t really feel qualified to comment. If one comes in at work in the next few days with some problem and everyone says to me ‘yeh they always do that’ I’ll let you know.

They seem really popular here and I must say I haven’t heard any horror stories; they might have a little more street cred, while the Legacy by comparison might be a little utilitarian. I think people with families who are still hoons at heart tend to opt for the VR4 round these parts, so I totally understand why you wouldn’t want one.
    Sorry I can't help more.
    Best Wishes
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast