Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accomodation in Taupo/Rotorua

Default Accomodation in Taupo/Rotorua

My sister and brother in law come over in 6 weeks, cant wait.

We are taking a trip up to Taupo and Rotorua, and aim to spend the night there. Any suggestions on some nice but reasonably cheapish accomodation ?

We want to either go back to Wai O Tapu or try the Hidden Valley or Craters of the Moon -- anyone been to Hidden Valley or Craters ??

Any suggestions gladly received .

Sharon
    x

Have a look at the baches, if you google you should come up with quite a few holiday bach/home websites. Usually works out a lot cheaper if you're in a group of people instead of booking a couple of motel rooms.

We went to Orakei Korako just outside of Taupo. Absolutely fantastic especially taking the boat across the lake and then the walk. The kids liked the fact every corner we turned there was something different to look at. Great day out.

We've also been to Craters of the Moon, great because it's DOC, think they ask for a donation. Kids loved that with all the steam coming out of the ground, it's hot as well so not so good on a hot day when we went Just up the road from there you've got Huka Falls and the Prawn Farm. Also the Huka Fall's jet boat and helicopter rides. We splashed out and did the helicopter ride, fantastic always stick with me that one

Last couple of times in Rotovegas, we stayed in the Havana Motor Lodge. It's off the main street and very close to the lake. It's also got a pool and private thermal baths - around $100 a night.

I would recommend Wai-O-Tapu, mainly beacuase it has some really impressive pools - like the champagne pool. Craters of the moon is good too (and almost free). There's also a set of boiling mud pools which are free - and not far away. Sorry, I can't remember where - but I'm sure it's DoC land.

Dougie

Quote Originally Posted by shakyle2906 View Post
    My sister and brother in law come over in 6 weeks, cant wait.

We are taking a trip up to Taupo and Rotorua, and aim to spend the night there. Any suggestions on some nice but reasonably cheapish accomodation ?

We want to either go back to Wai O Tapu or try the Hidden Valley or Craters of the Moon -- anyone been to Hidden Valley or Craters ??

Any suggestions gladly received .

Sharon
    x
    Wai O Tapu is good, personally prefer Hidden Valley, but certainly wouldn't do too many of the same type of attraction as they are very similar. The Te Puia in Rotorua is also worth a visit for Maori experience and also Geysers etc.

For accomodation, check out the late rates on the Heritage Hotel nice hotel and very reasonable prices (late rates).

Ian

If you can afford it - use De Bretts.

For the hot pools alone!
    Fab.

We stayed a couple of nights at the Huka Falls Resort. It is very pleasant and quiet with easy access to the falls, craters etc. Kim

Attachment 1138

I always recommend the Top 10 Holiday Parks' chalets. There are a couple in Rotorua and one in Taupo. Check them out online for the rates as it varies by the season. If you have kids they will enjoy the playgrounds, and you will enjoy the relative peace and quiet.

Waiotapu is very good, make sure you are there early for the Lady Knox Geyser, I think it goes off about 1030 each morning.

You might find this thread useful for things to do: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15244 Te Puia is expensive but really good, I'd allow the majority of a day to really do it justice.

For accommodation here are a few websites I've had recommended:
    www.bookabach.co.nz
    www.top10.co.nz
    www.cheaperthanhotels.co.nz
    www.tripadvisor.com
    www.laterooms.com
    www.needitnow.com

We're headed back to Rotorua during the next school holidays and got our self catering cottage with www.sevenaway.co.nz but I think you need to be a member.

Enjoy your trip and time with your family.
    Anneliese

My husband and I took my mum and her partner to NZ last year and spent time in Taupo - which we love - although we stayed with OH's family we had to find somewhere for mum. They wanted lake views, central etc. They stayed at the Great Lake Motel, it has the usual motel accommodation but also has 4 (I think) townhouses (at least 2 bed). It ticked all their boxes and more. There are loads of other decent quality motels around in Taupo though, there's an official accommodation website - www.laketaupoaccommodation.com - hope you find somewhere and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by napiers View Post
    My husband and I took my mum and her partner to NZ last year and spent time in Taupo - which we love - although we stayed with OH's family we had to find somewhere for mum. They wanted lake views, central etc. They stayed at the Great Lake Motel, it has the usual motel accommodation but also has 4 (I think) townhouses (at least 2 bed). It ticked all their boxes and more. There are loads of other decent quality motels around in Taupo though, there's an official accommodation website - www.laketaupoaccommodation.com - hope you find somewhere and have fun.

Hi

Saw that Motel yesterday when we were down in Taupo and have to agree, looks very very nice. Have emailed them for a quote for when we go down in April.

Thanks

Sharon
    x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast