Thread: Teaching Mathematics in Christchurch

Default Teaching Mathematics in Christchurch

My wife and I completed our EOI application on Sunday and sent it off (with her as the main applicant...I'm just a lowly unwanted accountant ).
    She is currently a Secondary School Maths teacher.

My question is: Does anybody know if it will be easy to find work for her in Christchurch (or very near to)? She has considerable experience in the UK, but the reason I ask is that we were on a reccy to Christchurch last month (Feb-08) and we looked at lots of on-line vacancies and could not find one for a Maths teacher in the area.

Now I know the school year runs Jan-Dec and schools will be looking for teachers before Jan of each year to fill vacancies, so does anyone know what the market is normally like and whether work in her area is eacy or hard to find?

We plan to arrive in NZ around Sep-09 to give us time to look.

Many thanks for any advice and apologies if this is too specific a question.

Normally there should be vacancies. If you're coming early you should try to find out if any schools are in the market for relieving teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    My wife and I completed our EOI application on Sunday and sent it off (with her as the main applicant...I'm just a lowly unwanted accountant ).
    She is currently a Secondary School Maths teacher.

My question is: Does anybody know if it will be easy to find work for her in Christchurch (or very near to)? She has considerable experience in the UK, but the reason I ask is that we were on a reccy to Christchurch last month (Feb-08) and we looked at lots of on-line vacancies and could not find one for a Maths teacher in the area.

Now I know the school year runs Jan-Dec and schools will be looking for teachers before Jan of each year to fill vacancies, so does anyone know what the market is normally like and whether work in her area is eacy or hard to find?

We plan to arrive in NZ around Sep-09 to give us time to look.

Many thanks for any advice and apologies if this is too specific a question.
    I've been told by an ex-maths teacher that there is a big shortage of maths teachers in New Zealand, and you can get a good deal contract-wise because of this. It just may be the case that not all vacancies are in the city?