Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working hours in NZ

Default Working hours in NZ

Just new to this forum, althought I've been reading it for a while now. I'm just wondering about the working hours in NZ. I've been hearing these horror stories about working 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week in a regular job! and I figured; let's ask some experts..

So, what do you say?

btw: I have been searching on the forum about this but couldn't find it... Must be lacking searching skills

Can't help you with any informaion regarding working hours but just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Diny

My partner is a kiwi and currently living over there. he says that they do a 40 hour work week over there which I think is a little more than we do in the UK or in the USA. And he says that they usually start early 8 - 8.30 am (well maybe that's not too early for many folks but for me an 8am start is scary!!)
    He told me that in 2006(maybe earlier) the law will change to make four weeks holiday standard whereas at the moment I think 3 weeks is considered normal. But I guess it depends on your field/employer etc etc

Now, I thought some of the posts here were saying that they were finding it to be more relaxed and leaving earlier on Fridays and such.
    But I am sure that all of this depends on job and employer, as it does everywhere.

And as far as hours in the US, Almost everyone I know works AT LEAST 40 hours a week. And some of those start at 7:30am.

By the way--WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Terry[/img]

in my contract as a plasterer iam scheduled to 40 hours a week i think the times are 7.30 -3.30, so that means i must be out of bed by 7.20 damn thats a lie in and hopefully be in the door by 20 to 4

cool

Dan

Hi and Welcome

Hubby is a welder (I'm sure people are going to get sick of me saying that ) He leaves at approx 6.45 am and is home anywhere from 4.30-5pm. His contracted hours are 45 which I think is the norm for his industry. Some people he works with do a lot more than that, but I think that is their choice/lifestyle. 45 hours per week works for us. He does the occassional saturday morning, but again that is his choice.

When my job was advertised the hours where 8.00am - 5pm, but I explained at the time that with two children at school I wouldnt be able to start at 8am. They interviewed me anyway with the view that if I was the right person for them they were willing to negotiate. My actual hours are 9-5pm. I'm not sure if this is general or just my employers, but they are also very flexible with their attutude towards working mums. I havent been there very long and they have been very helpfull at times when I have had problems with the kids.

oh yeah if i work over 40 hours i can either accumalate the hours as time off or get paid an overtime rate.

which is fair enougth, from what i can see nz industry works on the principle that you work hard but your boss's dont take you for a ride.

Dan

I think that your last comment is spot on, Dan

You've got to be joking right????

I thought working hours were from 11am-3pm Tuesday-Thursday! :mrgreen:

Mike

Woz working 9 - 5.30 Mon-Fri. Dare I say it.. in IT - they have a smoko break for 15 mins in morning and one in the afternoon even though they can't now smoke in the smoko room (and he doesn't smoke anymore!). Times are flexible so he could start earlier and finish earlier etc.

Unlike the UK he doesn't stay after these hours except on the odd occasion where they have probs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast