Thread: Whiecliffs - Canterbury

Default Whiecliffs - Canterbury

I know I have bored a lot of you recently with questions regarding different area's around Chch. Here is an other one. Whilst we have been looking through the real estate sites we have some properties in Whitecliffs. Any idea how long to commute to Chch from here? According to Google Earth (which is not very accurate) it is about 1hr 10 minutes. Is it a very big/small town? Are there any shops near? Any other info would be great.

Whitecliffs is tiny, rural and in a lovely area.

However... I would avoid looking at any property in the area until the Central Plains Water scheme issue has been resolved. The future of areas around Whitecliffs and Coalgate are in the balance right now as it'll be "under the damn" or in the path of a damn failure. The damn hasn't been built yet, it's all still under consideration/investigation with the councils etc - all a bit messy - I'd personally avoid this area until the scheme has been scrapped - and if the scheme goes ahead I'd probably avoid as damns, large bodies of water and a rather large quake fault nearby don't really mix.... many locals have same concerns.. and since the plan was announced there have been quite a few houses on the market in those areas....

To do your own research see:

http://www.cpwl.co.nz/

I also urge you, and others considering the area, to read this:

http://www.stopthedam.org.nz/

[snip]This special corner in Canterbury, The Malvern Hills, embraces the wooded hills from Homebush, to Coalgate, Glentunnel and Whitecliffs. The Selwyn River wends its way out of the foothills down to the sea and the Harper Hills serve as a look out to the Southern Alps. Nestled on the edge of The Malvern Hills is the Waianiwaniwa Valley, a lush, productive valley and home to some of Canterbury´s first settlers.

This idyllic setting may soon disappear however
    , because this quiet but industrious little community is under threat from a private company's proposal to build a massive irrigation scheme in Central Canterbury.

About the Malvern Hills Protection Society:
    The Malvern Hills Protection Society Inc (formerly The Dam Action Group) was formed in 2000, when a proposal was put forward by Central Plains Water (CPW) to build a huge dam and storage reservoir in The Malvern Hills. The society was formed to "promote the conservation, protection and enhancement of the historical, cultural, ecological, environmental and community values of the Malvern Hills District."

Thanks for that info Moorf. I think we will wait and see what happens with the dam before we entertain that area. Shame really as it looks really lovely.

As an afterthought, Moorf. If the dam didn't go ahead what would it be like as an area to live in? Distance/commute from Chch, shops, bus service etc...

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    As an afterthought, Moorf. If the dam didn't go ahead what would it be like as an area to live in? Distance/commute from Chch, shops, bus service etc...
    I have been looked this areas too when we were looking for rural areas to live before brought house where we are now. Honestly, we found this areas lovely BUT very long commute for my OH to get to work in chch has putting us off....it is not straight roads like UK, involving long windy roads!! Bus service, that will be a day if there is one??!!! (better to check with Moorf on this) There is NO bus service where I live even we live just 31km from CHCH's city but we are in progress trying to get bus service.....

Sophia is right, Whitecliffs is about 20km from Darfield, but unlike the Darfield - Chch commute (straight clear roads), the 20km from Whitecliffs to Darfield isn't straight and trickier to drive (nice drive though!).

I'd guessimate the commute to Chch from Whitecliffs at around 1 hour to the Western outskirts of Riccarton and, at a push, the airport. To the CBD I'd add on at least another 20mins in rush hour in and out. Next time I'm in the area I'll time it! These are the timings I'd allow if going in for a meeting at 9am.

Public transport.. ... sorry, not round here - shanks' pony or the car/horse/tractor/quad bike/ride on mower/kayak/skis/jetboat

Darfield would be your local township where there's all the amenities you need to get you through between "big shops" at the supermarkets in Chch or Rolleston, plus medical/education facilities etc.