Thread: Cheap hotels Christchurch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cheap hotels Christchurch

Hi,
    I am thinking of going to christchurch for a week at the end of march, not on holiday just to check the place out and surrounding area for a potential move.
    Has anyone stayed in Hotel So or the jailhouse accomodation? or can recommend any central hotels.

Hotel So looks great - I tried to book it for hubby's 40th but they screwed me around so I, on principal, won't go back there for a while.

What sort of accommodation are you looking for as Veronica and Pete on this forum run a great backpackers that have single rooms etc and a great atmosphere very central - we've stayed there and so have lots of other forumites. You could PM Veronica and see what she's got? Just a thought...

For info - their backpackers is called Drifters... website here:

http://www.drifters.co.nz/

thanks for that looks good, just want somewhere cheap central with my own room,
    not sure if i will be coming yet tho because i cant afford it unless man utd win the league and champions league! (a bet i have on)
    Im not sure if i would rather a normal hotel or hostel as you suggest.

Personally, if I was travelling alone, I'd go for the hostel because you'll be able to interact - there's always someone to chat to or you can have your own space in your room and perhaps someone to go fo a drink with in the evening.

I don't know you personally so it's hard to recommend!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    Personally, if I was travelling alone, I'd go for the hostel because you'll be able to interact - there's always someone to chat to or you can have your own space in your room and perhaps someone to go fo a drink with in the evening.
    Well yes i want to talk to people but not travellers, rather people who live in christchurch , that way i can ask them how they find living there, what the real problems are etc.

Hmmm, you'll find travellers in the hotels too

When you get here perhaps the Chch forum mob could take you out for a beer and show you the smog!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post

When you get here perhaps the Chch forum mob could take you out for a beer and show you the smog!
    sounds great
    the only pub i know is the holy grail

Hi
    I stayed at Hotel So for a week when I first arrived. It is very modern and new.... had the facilities of a backpackers ie laundry room, free internet computers, kitchen area and lounge, as well as hotel style bar / restaurant area. Location wise it is right in the centre and I found it perfect for getting around easily. The rooms are tiny, but I found them perfect... the design is pretty amazing, (but if there is two of you, with lots of luggage, I may have thought differently). I found it spotlessly clean, friendly, safe and ideally priced (ie cheap!). There were also many backpackers staying there as well ...
    hope that helps!