Thread: Take home pay after tax?

Default Take home pay after tax?

Hi,
    I have taken a job in Auckland that pay 75K NZD PA. I am paid fortnightly so a quick calculation I will get

75,000 GROSS / 26 weeks = 2,884 NZD GROSS

Q: Roughly what would the likely pay be after dedcutions? I need to know this so I know how much I can go up to on rentals .

Any answers greatly apprecriated.

LisaandPaul

Sure somebody will be along with the exact figures and formula for working it but revelling in the aftermath of the Crusaders win this evening and consumed a glass or two of NZ 's finest red but roughy about a third will be deducted

Have you tried the IRD online calculator:

https://interact1.ird.govt.nz/forms/.../?taxYear=2008

I think most people have tax code M, though I am not 100% sure (it is mine, though, and think the most common).

If you start a new job, they will automatically sign you up for KiwiSaver, and if you stay in, you need to take (I think) 4% off your pay.

Daniela

I think comparing to what OH earns approx 1900 per fortnight taking into account all IRD stuff and kiwi saver

HTH

Karenx

$1900-2000 per fortnight, after tax and Kiwisaver. Kiwisaver at 4% is about $115 per fortnight, but it's possible to opt out. Unfortunately, it's not possible to opt out of tax

Thanks for the replies,

Is the take home pay good? for Auckland. Looking at rent in Albany around 500 a week. Would this stretch us. Wife and 2 kids. My wife, Lisa, has got work permit and will look for work in July time!

Regards,

Lisa and Paul

there's a ton of threads about how much things cost and general budgeting, but assuming you're paying out $1000 a fortnight for rent that leaves you $1000 for bills, food, transport costs, other debts/spending - which is doable if not leaving you a large amount - but if your OH gets a job then you should be able to manage no problem

I'd find that a stretch myself, with a wife and kids and all. Rent's going to be 800-1000 round that area, so that's half your take-home straight away, and utility bills are going to be correspondingly higher. I'd look at living somewhere cheaper, but just imho.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaandPaul View Post
    Is the take home pay good? for Auckland. Looking at rent in Albany around 500 a week. Would this stretch us.
    Well, it really depends, but personally, I would find it a bit of a stretch. However, if it's just for a short-ish time, until you both work, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

We had kind of calculated like that, that we'd both work once our little ones are in school, but to be honest, if I look at after school care and holiday care for four children, I don't actually think we'll be much better off even with two incomes.

It does depend on how you live, though, and for a few months, I'm sure you'll be okay.

Daniela