Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Price of cheese?

Default Price of cheese?

I was in NZ 3 weeks ago and bought some mild cheddar, wanted sharp but they didn't carry it. I was so glad to make a burrito with cheese, and the first bite I thought I forgot to put it in. The problem was the cheese had relatively no flavor. I paid $9.00 for tasteless cheese.

My question is why is the cheese so expensive and bland?

I just came from my grocery store in Portland Oregon and bought NZ cheese, the same size but aged sharp cheddar for $3.99. How could it come all that way and cost almost a third less and have taste?

Economy of scale just doesn't seem to explain this one, it just looks like they are gouging the NZ people.

Bob

What does "sharp" mean? Never heard that phrase when talking about cheese!

Neil

the price has gone through the roof to the udder side recently!
    something to do with milk....

that question is on the list of "questions we might never know the answer too", along with the meaning of life, and where socks go when you swear that you put the pair in the wash.

i know what you mean by sharp. it has a tang to it...lovely thats why i buy tasty.

I have actually found in my local store that the cheese from the Deli counter is both nicer and cheaper than the pre-packed stuff. Surprised it was cheaper but its very nice. (Mature smooth creamy swiss style cheese...... it was labelled as)

Most of the bigger supermarkets have a "good" range of cheeses - usually displayed seperately from the fridge area. It is getting bloomin' expensive - for the first time ever I decided to buy a "NZ Parmesan" rather than a proper Parmesan because the wee triangle of Reggiano was priced around $30!!! Usually it's about $20

I'm gobsmacked by the price of cheese here As a family we love cheese of all sorts but have to we had to ration our intake here and it's fast becoming a treat That said I've had some fantastic tasting treats so far in NZ and good, varied choice available..

Karenx

Yep - cheese prices are a bit of a killer. Must say bought loads when back in the UK last year and had a few cheese and biscuit sessions! Another one to add to the why so expensive list; carpets. For a country swamped by sheep how wool carpet is the price it is I'll never know

carpets.
    Hell yeah! It's extortionate.

Bread's on the rise too....

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post

Bread's on the rise too....

Milliemoo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast