Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Skills Shortage query - can any one assist me?

Talking Long Term Skills Shortage query - can any one assist me?

Hi,

I am in the process of completing my EOI and am having difficulty interpreting the immigration requirements around the Long Term Skill shortage list, and am hoping by some miracle I am able to collect at least 140 points. In light of the info below, can anyone advise whether I would be able to collect additional points to get me over this threshold:

1) I have a BCompt degree in accounting & audit via University of South Africa (which will give me 50 points, as it is included on the list of universities)
    2) I am also a member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) in the UK (this is a post graduate qualification, but is not listed on the Immigragtion website, so I am not sure whether I get any additional points for this). ACCA is a global organisation and has presence in NZ.
    3) I have at least 10 years accounting/audit experience

Upon inspecting the Long Term Skills shortage list, I noticed that NZ has a shortage of auditors, but according to the supporting comments, you need to be a holder of a relevant degree (which I have), but you also need to be a member of the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants, (which is where I fall short)

In conclusion, I am a qualified accountant with the relevant audit experience, but having inspected the requirements on the Long Term Skills shortage list, it would appear that my qualifications are not suitable/adequate?

Does anyone have any advise?

Thank you in advance

Justin

just had a quick look and I think you have read it correctly, you need to be a member of the NZ organisation in order to claim the bonus points.

Worth getting in touch with that organisation and seeing what joining entails...

Dusk, thanks for your response.

Registering with this organisation would not be feasible, as it would require additional examinations to convert my qualification. It would be easier for me to rather obtain a job offer to get me over the 140 point threshold.

I just struggle to understand why the ''auditor'' role has such specific requirements? Allllllllllllllll of the other areas in which there are long term skill shortage require just a 'relevant degree'.

ACCA is a recognised accountancy body in NZ, so I really dont understand why it is not accepted?

Hi JK
    I too am an accountant Ithink you will need also to get you qualification assessed as it is not recognised (I am CIMA and this is taught in NZ but still not recognised) this can take 2-3 months so might be worth doing. I also enquired about the auditor questionas I had work expereince in this area and told I would need to register with NZCA and take additional exams, I agree with you it is easier to wait to a job offer, when this comes along you will see you can claim points for Immediate skills shortage as well being a senior accountant but you may not need this
    good luck!

Thanks Janey - anyone else experience similar dialema?

I just submitted by EOI in January with a score of 105 with no job offer. I am a financial analyst, however, I don't have any charted accountant credentials (I'm from the States) nor do I have a CPA or any other credentials. I do have over nine years of experience primarily in the banking industry. I find it strange that only auditors are on there skill shortage list when looking at the NZ Herald jobs sections, there are over 700 accounting jobs that are open. Accounting makes up the second largest group of vacant positions after IT. Am I missing something?

No idea, I'm afraid. But hello, and welcome.

Unfortunately only the Chartered Accountancy qualification is legally recognised in NZ. As others have said there are many Accounting jobs available in NZ that are outside of Public Accounting firms, but that is the current situation in NZ for accountants.
    With some luck more recognition will be given to other comparable qualifications in the near future.
    Shawn

I'm going to jump in on this thread too - apologies JK for slight deviation but some of it may be relevant to others? OH is ACCA qualified in the UK, although he doesn't work practice anymore. He's a Kiwi so fortunately doesn't have to worry about the immigration issue. If he doesn't intend to work in practice in NZ does he need to get this assessed or anything? And since there are a few accountant types on the forum does anyone have any contacts/recommendations of recruitment consultants or anything that may help?

If you can't claim points in the area of absolute skill shortage, you can still be selected. The last 3 selection criteria is 135,125 and 120 pts .(no ASSA pts) . I think they will still keep the criteria low for the next selection. But I could be wrong. Of course in the end the next selection criteria will depend on NZIS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast