Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My+Sky / broadband... thoughts please!

Default My+Sky / broadband... thoughts please!

Hi all

Well, fingers crossed we'll be able to move into our rental property in Nelson on Tues/Weds this week and the first two things we want to get sorted are wireless broadband and Sky Tv..

Now, couple of questions...

1. My+Sky . At $599 I'm struggling to see that as good value at the moment as I'm sure that price will drop as they want to get more people onto it over time so has anyone successfully negotiated a better deal/price direct with Sky as I'm finding in NZ (on the advice of this forum : ) that EVERYTHING appears to be negotiable!! If I phone and offer say 300 bucks do you think it's worth a shot or has anyone else found any stores etc offering deals on My+Sky??.... or is it worth every penny???!!!!!

2. Wireless broadband, any recommendations for the Nelson area as Telecom seem to be the obvious choice but I keep finding loads of posts saying how bad they are!!... We have a desktop and laptop so would need to be good enough to run well even if both are running at the same time...

Any help, as always, is very gratefully received!....

I don't think we would have coped without this forum, you guys are the best!!!...

With the Sky, I mean, you could try but I can't imagine that they would cut half off the price! thats a bit much. It's not like your dealing with a small business. From what I can tell, you're buying/leasing a hard drive to record onto and they're not the cheapest bit of equipment around...

Not a chance negotiating with Sky - you have to be realistic where and when you can negotiate on prices. They have been at that price for a few years now, so as there is no competition, don't expect any great reduction of price in the near future.

Stick with Telecom as there are some changes coming up over the next few years and Telecom will be getting a lot better.

Neil

Well personally I would say that MySky is worth every cent

It might be expensive but it does have two tuners so you record two different stations at the same time. If you've used Sky+ then its very similar and if not then it is so much better than just Sky even if its just to flick past all the adverts.

The box can be moved with you to new house, and as it's still Skys resposibility then they will fix it if there is a problem. There also isn't an ongoing cost or subscription requirement that there was in the UK so you can just go with the basic sky package.

Should you try and negotiate, most definitely... I doubt you will get anything off the price but they can well offer you additional channels for free. They always appear to have some special offer on so well worth asking them what they are.

Ian

Can't help with Sky, not got it, but I can say without reservation that Telecom BB has been superb, not got any problems with them at all. Even when we moved from the rental into our new house, they already had it sorted as we were moving in!

A lot of the other "value" broadband packages seem to have so many hidden costs that there is very little difference in all honesty, unless anyone on here can tell me different...

Enjoy your new home by the way

We give MySky a big thumbs up too and when we had it installed had multi room included for free for first 4 months

Thanks everyone for the responses....

Sounds like we may be able to get some extras included judging by Ben's deal so we'll see how it goes!!...

Also, good news about Telecom, especially if they're quick to get set up...

Thanks a lot guys... Will let you know how we get on!

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    We give MySky a big thumbs up too and when we had it installed had multi room included for free for first 4 months
    is multi-room when you watch 2 different sky programs on two different TVs? is there any way to do this without getting a second sky decoder? in Canada you could just get a splitter for a few bucks and that enable the signal to be split to two different TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by kanatakiwi View Post
    is multi-room when you watch 2 different sky programs on two different TVs? is there any way to do this without getting a second sky decoder? in Canada you could just get a splitter for a few bucks and that enable the signal to be split to two different TVs.
    Yes it is but not sure about a splitter would be cool if we could as it'd save a few bucks

Quote Originally Posted by kanatakiwi View Post
    If you want to watch the same program in another room then yes, you can do that with MySky without any problems as it already has the second output. For normal sky then you would need to buy an aerial splitter but as you say very cheap.

Multi-room is a little different as they provide you with an additional decoder so you can watch a different channel than what is on the MySky box i.e. it's exactly like having Sky installed twice.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast