Thread: Can my sister sponsor me without a job offer?

Default Can my sister sponsor me without a job offer?

Hi,
    I don't qualify for residence under the points scheme and have been told I need a job offer before residence can be considered.
    My sister who lives in NZ can sponsor me and has spoken with NZ immigration in Auckland.They indicated I should come to NZ on a visitors visa and apply once there as there is more chance of sucess if you already have a job lined up in NZ.
    When I look at the NZ immigration website and any others who can process applications, they all say I must have a job offer before I can be sponsored.
    Can anyone help with these opposing views please?
    Clive.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/

You definitely have to have a job. What the Auckland office presumably mean is that you'll have a better chance of getting a job when in the country.

Thanks for the info.. My problem is would any NZ employer offer me a job without the work permit because without a permit I cannot take a job... Is this not a catch 22?
    How likely is it that any employer would offer a job without being interviewed in NZ?
    Many thanks,
    Clive.

If you're offered a job, with the employer knowing you still need to get a visa, then NZIS will fast-track you a WTR or general work visa. You still need to have all the formalities done (so, paperwork to hand ready), but it's not as awkward as it sounds. And then you've got the means of staying in the country and applying for full PR while still making your living while you're there.

How likely is it that any employer would offer a job without being interviewed in NZ?
    Some people on the site have had an offer while still in the UK, usually either after being interviewed in the UK after one of the expos, or else having had a telephone or webcam interview. It's not THE most common route, but has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Some people on the site have had an offer while still in the UK, usually either after being interviewed in the UK after one of the expos, or else having had a telephone or webcam interview. It's not THE most common route, but has happened.

OH got job offer whilst still in the UK and they waited nearly 6 months for us too arrive So JandM is right is can be done but I think people have had more success going down the visitors route and getting jobs then visas follow. It may help to know what field you work in so people can provide more specific advice about the job market or recruitment practice?

Karen

Thanks for the info. For the record I have over 25yrs experience in the Shoe manufacturing trade, being both a components materials buyer and later a General manager for the company.
    In the last three years I have been running a Snap-on tool franchise dealership.
    Do you think these skills might be useful to someone?
    Cheers, Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Branson View Post
    Thanks for the info. For the record I have over 25yrs experience in the Shoe manufacturing trade, being both a components materials buyer and later a General manager for the company.
    In the last three years I have been running a Snap-on tool franchise dealership.
    Do you think these skills might be useful to someone?
    Cheers, Clive.
    1st - Hello.
    Skills are always helpful, but I'm sure you are aware it depends on what is required.
    Have you looked into your work experience and the various skills lists. I looked at management roles and some are considered a professional skill/occupation. This may help with an actual resisnce visa points?