Thread: Eds Nz

Question Eds Nz

Well, I haven't even started filling out my ITA, and EDS NZ is giving me a preliminary call tomorrow! (YAY!) They're an IT company in Wellington. Has anyone heard anything about the company? Good or Bad? Other than it's the NZ branch of a US IT company? Thanks!

-Richard

Hubby nearly took a job with the Auckland office.... if he gets a chance I will see if he will reply to this later....

Ah, Good old EDS.

Some people have suggested it stands for Extremly Disapointing Systems. I turned down a role as a techincal architect there about a year ago.

I found my techincal interview there is joke to be honest, we had it scheduled for an hour, but I flew through all their questions in about 20 mins, it wasn't very difficult.

The have two main clients in NZ, Telecom New Zealand and Fonterra, these are the two largest corperates in the country. So EDS is a serious player in NZ.

They have a reputation as being very conservate and process bound, things move at a glacial pace, you need 15 signatures and 8 forms filled in before you can reboot a production server. This does mean things tend to go wrong very rarely (although I know people at MS that are scathing about them) lf you like that type of culture, you'll love it, it's not for me though.

I'd guess about 50% of their staff would be overseas born, lot of Brits, South Africans and Indians, although you'll find that in every IT service company in NZ.

They pay market rates I guess, nothing spectacular. They would be one of the top two or three IT service companies in NZ in terms of size. Most people will work for EDS at some point in their career.

If you want an opinion on any other IT service companies pm me (well the wife) and let me know who you are thinking about and i'll give an opinion.

Oh yeah, there is a serious skills shortage in NZ, but companies sometimes try and get people fresh off the boat on the cheap and offer them $20k less than they'd pay a local. Don't let yourself be screwed over.

I work for EDS in the UK (until i hand my notice in!) I'm not a techy though (I work in finance ) but if you want any info on the corporate culture etc then feel free to PM me.

EDS in the UK tend to hire and fire willy-nilly, so you never feel like your job is secure. So I'm told anyway - I've avoided them like the plague myself. I live in Telford, which had a big EDS presence till Cap Gemini took over their operations here. I imagine the culture is different in NZ though, them being short of skilled people and all.

They do have a reputation for being so mired in their own processes they never get anything done. They got a lot of government contracts in the UK in the past and managed to mess them all up, to a point of being a 'joke' company even in the mainstream media.

CJ22

I work for Capgemini here in the UK... Hoping to make the jump later in the year!

Cheers

Slipsurfer

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    Ah, Good old EDS.

Some people have suggested it stands for Extremly Disapointing Systems. I turned down a role as a techincal architect there about a year ago.

I found my techincal interview there is joke to be honest, we had it scheduled for an hour, but I flew through all their questions in about 20 mins, it wasn't very difficult.

The have two main clients in NZ, Telecom New Zealand and Fonterra, these are the two largest corperates in the country. So EDS is a serious player in NZ.

They have a reputation as being very conservate and process bound, things move at a glacial pace, you need 15 signatures and 8 forms filled in before you can reboot a production server. This does mean things tend to go wrong very rarely (although I know people at MS that are scathing about them) lf you like that type of culture, you'll love it, it's not for me though.

I'd guess about 50% of their staff would be overseas born, lot of Brits, South Africans and Indians, although you'll find that in every IT service company in NZ.

They pay market rates I guess, nothing spectacular. They would be one of the top two or three IT service companies in NZ in terms of size. Most people will work for EDS at some point in their career.

If you want an opinion on any other IT service companies pm me (well the wife) and let me know who you are thinking about and i'll give an opinion.

Oh yeah, there is a serious skills shortage in NZ, but companies sometimes try and get people fresh off the boat on the cheap and offer them $20k less than they'd pay a local. Don't let yourself be screwed over.
    I would second most of the above. After meeting with them at London Expo OH decided to persue opportunities with a different company.