Thread: Cooker advice

Default Cooker advice

Hi all,
    We are making the move to Wellington at the end of June and at the moment are planning on taking the bulk of our flat furnishings with us - as seems highly recommended by all the other threads on the subject! However, the gas cooker is old and pretty inefficient compared to modern standards - we bought it from the previous occupant when we moved in. So I'm wondering whether it would be better for us (i.e. cheaper) to buy a new one in the UK before we leave and bring it with us rather than try to buy one when we get there.
    My concerns are:
    My ideal would be to get a cooker with an electric oven and gas hob but I'm not sure how popular gas is in NZ and whether we'll be limiting ourselves on property choice when we come to buy?
    Do many places come with fully fitted kitchens so ovens and hobs are already installed and not likely to move on with the vendor?
    Many thanks for any opinions/info that could make the decision easier

I wouldn't bring one - mains gas is not very common outside the main cities and bottled gas needs different nozzles etc I believe.

Most houses have fitted hobs and ovens from what I have seen, so you would then need to pay more to get that taken out etc etc.

I really would not worry about the cooker - lots available here when it becomes a priority

Neil

Definitely not worth bringing I don't think, we did bring our new electric cooker but had untold problems with two phase wiring etc and in hindsight we wouldn't have bothered.

I wouldn't bother. As mentioned not many places have mains gas and most houses get sold with oven & hob included.

I'm not sure but I would imagine that if you are renting it would be a legal requirement for the landlord to provide a cooker. Even if it isn't my OH didn't come across a single place that didn't have a cooker when he was finding a rental for us.

Now if we're talking about white goods.....

Anneliese

Yeah, don't worry, we bought our house with halogen hob and all the kitchen fittings included. Rental will have a cooker.

When you view a house it is with the majority of fittings included when you see it (apart from personal effects ) so we didn't even have to bother with curtains, venetian blinds throughout and curtains in the lounge and bedrooms. Gives you a bit of breathing space so you can sort it at your own pace....

Good luck

I would agree not point whatsoever in bringing one over.. Whilst we're on the subject of cookers anyone have any tips on how to clean a ceramic hob??

Just before you all think I'm a mucky pup and been in rental for two months without cleaning the cooker (yuck!!) - I have but have a few marks and stuff that need removed and wondered what product would work best??

OMG listen to me worrying about cleaning products - must get job soon

Thanks
    Karenx

Thanks all for your responses - that makes the decision so much easier and one less thing to worry about. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by peebles16 View Post
    I would agree not point whatsoever in bringing one over.. Whilst we're on the subject of cookers anyone have any tips on how to clean a ceramic hob??

Just before you all think I'm a mucky pup and been in rental for two months without cleaning the cooker (yuck!!) - I have but have a few marks and stuff that need removed and wondered what product would work best??

OMG listen to me worrying about cleaning products - must get job soon

Thanks
    Karenx
    For really tough, burnt on bits I soak with soapy water then use either a glass scraper or wire wool to remove them. That sounds harsh, but it shouldn't damage the hob - I had a really nice ceramic hob in the UK, and when I left it looked as good as new; it didn't have a scratch on it.

Quote Originally Posted by peebles16 View Post
    Whilst we're on the subject of cookers anyone have any tips on how to clean a ceramic hob??

I used to use a product called Hob Brite (or Bright) in the UK - it's similar to a cream cleanser such as Cif (Jif) but it was specially for halogen/ceramic hobs. It works wonders and no scraping needed even if it's burnt on.

Don't know if you can get that in NZ - unfortunately, I never had the need to look for it.

I miss my Belling halogen hob and my double oven with separate grill and self clean linings....... I'm depressed now!!

Julie

xx

Quote Originally Posted by zardell View Post
    I used to use a product called Hob Brite (or Bright) in the UK - it's similar to a cream cleanser such as Cif (Jif) but it was specially for halogen/ceramic hobs. It works wonders and no scraping needed even if it's burnt on.

Don't know if you can get that in NZ - unfortunately, I never had the need to look for it.

I miss my Belling halogen hob and my double oven with separate grill and self clean linings....... I'm depressed now!!

Julie

xx

Thanks for the advice
    Julie, obviously we both need to get out more

Off to clean cooker and take freshly baked chocolate cake out of oven - oh and get a life

Karenx