Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wicker baskets??

Default Wicker baskets??

Hi,
    here's a good one for you all. My wife says that her friend told her that you are not allowed to take anything made from Wicker into Australia. :?

My question is does anyone know if this is true and if it counts for New Zealand too??
    cheers
    Nick

Hi Nick,

Yes she's right - they aren't keen on you bringing wicker in. You are allowed but I left my wicker clothes basket at home as the packers said that the MAF would definitely want to inspect it & didn't fancy paying them to inspect a £20 basket!!! (actually wish I'd brought the thing with me now as the clothes baskets I've seen aren't too nice!)

Can't speak for wicker conservatory furniture as we didn't have any of that...

Hi Nick,

I recall Beach Kiwi giving a link to what is allowed and not allowed on a thread about christmas decorations - http://www.enz.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1315

Hope that clarifies it!

I agree. We were told by our shippers (White & Co) that we were allowed to take wicker into NZ but MAF would almost certainly check it.

Like Sarah says - it's not really worth it, it's dirt cheap wherever you go so can be easily replaced.

Diny

Thanks for the advice. We seem to have quite a few wicker bits and pieces, I may try and pursuade my other half not to take them, I'm sure the thought of new stuff may sway her!
    Cheers
    Nick

Default what a list!

On that list of prohibited items were some very strange things indeed:

Rubber hot water bottles

PCBs and crayons (um, is there something dangerous that I should know about crayons?)

Children’s nightware, children’s toys, certain pistol crossbows, cots, pedal bicycles, candles containing lead in their wicks, candle wicks, candle wicks containing lead, baby walkers and so on

and a whole lot about a few types of dogs!

all from
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers...ts/default.htm

I have a laundry list of items that seem to be either prohibited or that will need special treatment/inspection.

On advice from other forum members, I sent an email to MAF asking for clarification on bunches of items (including wicker). I haven't heard back yet and it's been a few days now. Anyone know on how responsive they are to emails?

RoadRunner

Tigerlily

I've just had a concentrated look at the MAF site which you provided the link for.

I'm now in a state of panic. I don't know what to do about bringing my Antarctic Toothfish and my Chewing tobacco to NZ. Not to mention my diamonds from Liberia and the semen from my American Pit Bull.

What about my selection of Iraqi cultural artifacts and my animal bristles? I guess I'll leave the hazardous waste here and hope I can wear my knuckle duster through customs as jewelry. I can manage without my prison goods but what on earth am I meant to do about my trout?

It makes entertaining reading doesn't it. It's a good site though - with plenty of information. Although some of the categories are rather amusing, it's easy to see why they are on the banned list.

Diny

Hi, RoadRunner,

When I wrote to them, they responded within a couple of days. I'd re-send yours, with perhaps a gentle nudge for information.

They were very helpful, although English-language challenged!

Best of luck, Rae

Rae,
    Thanks for that. My letter to MAF was pretty long and complicated - perhaps too much so if they are English-language challenged! Maybe I should try a simpler version... :?

I really didn't understand that part about some things having to be heat or chemically treated. Didn't know if I was supposed to do that or they did that?

Also was hoping to get an exception for my Native American jewelry that, unfortunately, has a few small pieces of coral...

I appreciate all your posts on the MAF subject - I read them several times!

RoadRunner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast