Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a US PS3 in NZ

Default Using a US PS3 in NZ

Hi everyone!
    I've read online that all you need to do to make a US PS3 work in NZ is get a plug adaptor.

I know that on the exterior of my unit it states it's only for US power, however I have read numerous cases online that state that it will work (and has worked in both the UK and NZ) because the interior workings are universal (despite the labeling on the exterior).

I just wanted to check and see whether anyone on here had tried it or knows someone who has. I don't want to fry my husband's electronics when we get there, and we are shopping for our transformers at the moment and this will effect what transformer we will purchase.

Thanks!

anyone?

Sorry can't really give you any definitive advice on this as not tried it.

Certainly the PS3 and the manual clearly state its only for 110V so personally I wouldn't risk it on 240V unless of course you don't care about it, or you are happy to replace the PSU if it does fail.

You could of course email Sony and ask them what they would recommend as I assume you want to keep the US version and not sell it and buy again in NZ.

If you had a UK PS3 and wanted to use that in US then I would have said go for it, it would either work or not, but no harm should be caused as the voltage would be too low, but going the other way is another story.

Normally, if a PSU can cope with a range of voltages then the company would just state this on the lable, the fact that they haven't worries me for two reasons.

1. Assuming they make two different versions of the PSU, one that is multi-voltage and one that isn't. It could be that some US models get this version and would work whilst others don't and would fail. How would you know which version you have?

2. If the PSU is only rated at 110V and you run it at 240V then yes it may survive and work for a while but you may well be stressing the electronics beyond their rated capacity so will likely fail early.

Ian

Which is why I was planning to buy a transformer for it, until I was reading this board:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threa...=68988&start=0

So I just don't know. Unless I find out for sure I'll just buy the bigger transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Which is why I was planning to buy a transformer for it, until I was reading this board:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threa...=68988&start=0

So I just don't know. Unless I find out for sure I'll just buy the bigger transformer.
    Well the best article I can find on the subject is The Sony Playstation 3 dissected which originally stated that the PSU wasn't universal but later changed this after confirmation from Sony.

We have confirmation from SCEA now that the power supply inside the Playstation 3 is, in fact, universal. The power supply supports 100 to 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hertz, which is useable in all modern power grids -- including Europe. Although European markers require a different physical plug for their infrastructure, there is no need to replace the power supply.
    So, if you can trust this article then it looks like you will have no problems.

You could always open the PS3 up (instructions in the article) and have a look as apparently it is correctly labelled inside. BTW, did also find that Sony are charging $150 to replace a failed PSU out of warranty (should the worst occur).

Ian

Thanks!!

Any update on this at all? I have a new 80gig PS3 and would like to bring it with me as well as an Xbox 360. I have been researching the internet but have not found anything definitive. I may go ahead and contact Sony direction. I hate to call Microsoft however! lol

Quote Originally Posted by amckean View Post
    Any update on this at all? I have a new 80gig PS3 and would like to bring it with me as well as an Xbox 360. I have been researching the internet but have not found anything definitive. I may go ahead and contact Sony direction. I hate to call Microsoft however! lol
    I can confirm that Liz was able to open her PS3 and check that it was indeed a universal one and it works without any problems in NZ.

Sure she will be along at some point to answer as well

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    I can confirm that Liz was able to open her PS3 and check that it was indeed a universal one and it works without any problems in NZ.

Sure she will be along at some point to answer as well

Ian
    Good deal, thanks! I have a message in with both Sony & Microsoft so hopefully should hear back on whether or not one or both of my systems will work.

We have no problem with the PS3 with just a plug adapter. Our Wii on the other hand needed to be plugged in to a converter. Still works fine though having done that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast