Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Slow Cooker recipes

I made something very similar to silverside using brisket the other day, can post the recipe if you like?

Other faves are chilli (looooooong slowcooking = YUM) and lots of casseroles, soups... I recommend a recipe book tbh

Ok, so here comes the recipe:
    All- in- the- pot corned beef with vegetables

12 small gourmet potatoes
    12 baby carrots
    1 onion
    1.5kg piece corned beef
    hot water
    1 tbs vinegar
    2 tbs brown sugar
    12 black peppercorns
    6 whole cloves
    1 bay leaves
    1/2 small cabbage
    mustard

wash veges, trim carrots, peel onion and cut in quarters
    place veges and meat in slow cooker, cover with hot water, add vinegar, sugar etc. except the cabbage. cover and cook on low for 6- 8 hours
    15min before end of cooking, turn cooker on high, wash cabbage and cut into 6 wedges, place on top of the liquid in cooker and cook for further 10 minutes.
    serve the corned beef sliced with the drained veges and mustard (I made horseradish sauce once and you can, of course, eat whatever you like with it.

I did not use baby veges, just small potatoes, or i cut them into smaller pieces, same goes for carrots.

I am sorry that this is so long, i tried to attach it, but was not able to downsize the attachment

I very much presume we're talking NZ corned beef in a joint here, not the UK kind in tins - ?

Ups, yes, the NZ kind..., I wasn't really thinking since Sharon is "here" as well :-)

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post

12 baby carrots
    1 onion
    1.5kg piece corned beef
    hot water
    1 tbs vinegar
    2 tbs brown sugar
    12 black peppercorns
    6 whole cloves
    1 bay leaves
    1/2 small cabbage
    mustard

wash veges, trim carrots, peel onion and cut in quarters
    place veges and meat in slow cooker, cover with hot water, add vinegar, sugar etc. except the cabbage. cover and cook on low for 6- 8 hours
    15min before end of cooking, turn cooker on high, wash cabbage and cut into 6 wedges, place on top of the liquid in cooker and cook for further 10 minutes.
    serve the corned beef sliced with the drained veges and mustard (I made horseradish sauce once and you can, of course, eat whatever you like with it.

I did not use baby veges, just small potatoes, or i cut them into smaller pieces, same goes for carrots.

I am sorry that this is so long, i tried to attach it, but was not able to downsize the attachment

Thanks Renate, will give it a go tomorrow i think
    Sharon
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I very much presume we're talking NZ corned beef in a joint here, not the UK kind in tins - ?
    Hi Jane, yes thanks, NZ corned beef ie silverside.......
    Sharon
    xx

I'll post 2 recipes one Ive used a lot the first Irish stew and the other is a new recipe that was in last weeks Chch Press which sounds nice.

Irish stew: Allow 3 hours from start to finish and will feed 4-5 hungry people
    Very easy recipe with very little prep time.

500g Lamb, hogget or mutton depending on how strong you like you lamb flavour. Neck or shoulder is good. Diced leg is not good as it will end up dry.
    750kg new season baby potatoes just washed skin on and do not cut
    2 medium sized onions
    5 medium sized carrots
    2 parsnips
    1/2 swede
    couple sprigs thyme
    bunch of parsley
    some salt
    water or chicken stock if you have it but don't use a stock cube.

dice the meat
    dice the onions
    peel and slice carrot and parsnip
    peel and dice swede 1 cm square
    wash and finely chop the parsley keeping the stalks.

Place all veg, onions lamb, parsley stalks, salt and thyme in your slow cooker or a heavy large pot
    Cover with the liquid and go over about 2.5cm
    When the liquid comes to the boil a brown scum will float at the top and remove this with a large spoon or ladle. This helps with a nice clear liquid with the final dish. Add more liquid id meat pokes out from the top made sure it is covered with liquid at all time and do not let it boiled hard.
    slow cook for about two hours or till the meat is soft and can be cut with a fork with very little effort.
    try and skim of or all the fat floating you can with large spoon or ladle.
    Add the potatoes and simmer lightly in the stew till spuds are cooked and season to taste.
    Seconds before you serve add a 3-4 table spoons of chopped parsley to the stew to finish and serve straight away in large bowls or pasta dishes.

Brawn
    You will need a loaf tin lined with glad wrap or a terrine mold
    Part 1
    2 fresh pork hocks
    1kg corned beef or silver side
    1kg duck wings
    1kg venison neck bones.
    2 onions
    2 sticks of celery
    salt to taste

Place everything in the slow cooker and cover with water and bring to boil and skin off any scum or fat the rises to the top and lightly simmer till the ham hocks meat is falling off the bone and when that happens everything else will be cooked.
    Add more liquid if meat pokes out from the top made sure it is covered with liquid at all time and do not let it boiled hard.
    Leave to cool for a little while and remove all the meat from the bone and discarding any fat and roughly chop up with a french cooks chopping knife and refrigerate over night.
    Stain and keep the liquid and place in container and place in the fridge when it is cold enough and leave over night. The next day take all the fat from the top.

Part 2
    1 leek finely diced and washed
    2 courgette's finely diced
    2 carrots finely diced
    small bunch parsley chopped
    small bunch basil torn with your fingers trying not to bruise the herb
    small bunch of coriander chopped
    2 level teaspoons of gelatin
    100ml water hot water

With a little butter lightly sweat off the carrot for 5 minutes then add the leek and when leeks are almost cooked add the courgette and all soft add the chopped herbs. Set aside
    dissolve the gelatine in the water.
    Warm the stock till blood temperature and add the gelatine mix and set aside a leave to cool and stir now and then.
    break up the meat from the fridge.
    When the liquid is starting to set mix everything together and add the the terrine mold and refrigerate.

When it has set pour hot water from a tap around the mold and place tray or flat plate on top and flip it over and ease out the brawn.

Eat with lettuce salad boiled potatoes or potato salad and some mustard.
    Last edited by Gnomon; 2nd March 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
    I'll post 2 recipes one Ive used a lot the first Irish stew and the other is a new recipe that was in last weeks Chch Press which sounds nice.

Irish stew: Allow 3 hours from start to finish and will feed 4-5 hungry people
    Very easy recipe with very little prep time.

500g Lamb, hogget or mutton depending on how strong you like you lamb flavour. Neck or shoulder is good. Diced leg is not good as it will end up dry.
    750kg new season baby potatoes just washed skin on and do not cut
    2 medium sized onions
    5 medium sized carrots
    2 parsnips
    1/2 swede
    couple sprigs thyme
    bunch of parsley
    some salt
    water or chicken stock if you have it but don't use a stock cube.

dice the meat
    dice the onions
    peel and slice carrot and parsnip
    peel and dice swede 1 cm square
    wash and finely chop the parsley keeping the stalks.

Place all veg, onions lamb, parsley stalks, salt and thyme in your slow cooker or a heavy large pot
    Cover with the liquid and go over about 2.5cm
    When the liquid comes to the boil a brown scum will float at the top and remove this with a large spoon or ladle. This helps with a nice clear liquid with the final dish. Add more liquid id meat pokes out from the top made sure it is covered with liquid at all time and do not let it boiled hard.
    slow cook for about two hours or till the meat is soft and can be cut with a fork with very little effort.
    try and skim of or all the fat floating you can with large spoon or ladle.
    Add the potatoes and simmer lightly in the stew till spuds are cooked and season to taste.
    Seconds before you serve add a 3-4 table spoons of chopped parsley to the stew to finish and serve straight away in large bowls or pasta dishes.

Brawn
    You will need a loaf tin lined with glad wrap or a terrine mold
    Part 1
    2 fresh pork hocks
    1kg corned beef or silver side
    1kg duck wings
    1kg venison neck bones.
    2 onions
    2 sticks of celery
    salt to taste

Place everything in the slow cooker and cover with water and bring to boil and skin off any scum or fat the rises to the top and lightly simmer till the ham hocks meat is falling off the bone and when that happens everything else will be cooked.
    Add more liquid if meat pokes out from the top made sure it is covered with liquid at all time and do not let it boiled hard.
    Leave to cool for a little while and remove all the meat from the bone and discarding any fat and roughly chop up with a french cooks chopping knife and refrigerate over night.
    Stain and keep the liquid and place in container and place in the fridge when it is cold enough and leave over night. The next day take all the fat from the top.

Part 2
    1 leek finely diced and washed
    2 courgette's finely diced
    2 carrots finely diced
    small bunch parsley chopped
    small bunch basil torn with your fingers trying not to bruise the herb
    small bunch of coriander chopped
    2 level teaspoons of gelatin
    100ml water hot water

With a little butter lightly sweat off the carrot for 5 minutes then add the leek and when leeks are almost cooked add the courgette and all soft add the chopped herbs. Set aside
    dissolve the gelatine in the water.
    Warm the stock till blood temperature and add the gelatine mix and set aside a leave to cool and stir now and then.
    break up the meat from the fridge.
    When the liquid is starting to set mix everything together and add the the terrine mold and refrigerate.

When it has set pour hot water from a tap around the mold and place tray or flat plate on top and flip it over and ease out the brawn.

Eat with lettuce salad boiled potatoes or potato salad and some mustard.

sounds yum, thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post

12 baby carrots
    1 onion
    1.5kg piece corned beef
    hot water
    1 tbs vinegar
    2 tbs brown sugar
    12 black peppercorns
    6 whole cloves
    1 bay leaves
    1/2 small cabbage
    mustard
    tried this at the weekend (well, minus the bits I forgot add to the pot!) & it was very yummy! Thanks Renate

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    Now proud new owner of Slow Cooker ...but like to have new recipes to go with it
    Tell me your favourites! (Also I am looking for recipe with chicken legs in it please for tomorrow )
    1) never eat chicken legs! *shudder*

2) Alison Holst has a couple of excellent recipe books out for slow cookers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345