Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halloween?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Halloween?

I was just cleaning windows prior to moving out on Thursday and musing to myself about life in NZ and about the time of year and then realised I will be there for Halloween. As I am now totally cheesed of with cleaning and tired I've taken a break to ask a whimsical question.

I presume they celebrate Halloween in NZ but is it the old fashioned UK version or the updated American version. I can remember when I was a child, bobbing for apples, eating toffee apples and pomegranates and roasting chestnuts on an open fire, and we made lanterns from turnips, not pumpkins, much more difficult. I don't ever remember seeing a pumpkin as a child.They didn't have 'trick or treat' in my day and you didn't go out after dark in case you were caught by a witch Also, do I have to turn out the lights and hide when I run out of sweeties (candy) in case the little kiddies beat me up.

And has November 5th carried over to NZ as well - you know, burning Guy Fawkes on a bonfire :eek and fireworks.

Just an idle question - Sandra

They do have firework night but dont know about halloween. there are a fair no. of americans about so if its not here it soon will be so I would advise bringing the broomstick.

Now where did I put that broomstick??

Now i thought we were all trying to leave good old blighty behind!!!!!

Now,now Kim -you're not getting controversial on me are you?

Just wondered if the old traditions had been carried on. Just a matter of curiosity. I don't have kids so doesn't bother me - well not really, well not too much. Alright, I'm a traditionalist at heart. ops:

Frankly, I'd be more than happy to leave behind the American version of Halloween - little kids hopped up on sugar, teenagers using the holiday as an excuse to vandalize the neighborhood, and adults getting drunk.

Apple bobbing and turnip carving sound like a lot more fun!

Oh coast cat were you the type that turned the lights off and ignored wee litlle one's candy.

I mean kids getting hopped up on sugar, so what. I guess we better throw out Easter, X-mas, birthday parties ectt...

Sounds like someone needs to buy coastcat one of those MR piggy chochlate eggs I remember reading about in N.Z

I loved Halloween, it was real big in my family. My grandparents would come over and everyone in the family would dress up.

We even had our own haunted house or about five years running.

From what I understand from an american, is that Halloween is very much alive. Hurray, and if I find you turning your light's off in New Zealand, then I might just soap your windows.

TRICK OR TREAT

Controversial Sandra, never. Just that bonfire night ain't what it use to be. Nowadays you ain't sure whether its a banger or a good old firework cracking off over head or whether Al Qaeda has arrived in Runcorn :eek

I know it's amazing these days, bonfire night seems to go on for 2 weeks. The explosions are fairly frightening as well, sometimes wonder if it's Scud missiles coming over. Last year the house was actually vibrating with the thump of the explosions.

What on earth do they buy nowadays. And to think that rip-raps (or is that rick-racks) can't remember what they were called now, were banned because they were too dangerous - they were mild in comparison. :eek

Both our dogs vibrate with every explosion too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast