Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Language Barriers

Yep my wee one is Daniel but Denyl in NZ I have a glaswegian accent although it has softened a bit over the years but still have terrible trouble on the phone... Whereas the mums in the playground think it's hilarious and have started taking the mickey

Karenx

Jan has just recalled to me a time in work when she asked one of the girls to do something for her, she just turned to her friend and did much the same as your example, she just asked if she understood a word she had said!!

When Jan asked her if she understood her, she just looked at her and said 'no' but she had a really thick Maori accent. Eventually she got used to her, but it did make us laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Anyone else had similar "blank" looks when you talk to kiwis?
    Millions timessssss...many many many times, not just kiwis but most of english speaking people (americans, english, kiwi, australians n so on)...even tho I have lived 10 years in US.

My mother has a pretty standard English voice with a slight north London tinge. She got met with total incomprehension asking, 'Does this bus go near the Viaduct?'

I have the opposite trouble, (apart from understanding my humour). I find kiwis talk very quickly and I can't always pick up what they say on first utterance. After asking a second time I usually give up and try to look intelligent....not sure I succeed though!! Which is probably why they pronounce my name Anit!! (Annette)

Quote Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
    but have had plenty of Kiwi's looking at me with blank expressions, some of them just don't get the humour
    I have that too, to the point where I'm beginning to wonder if I am just painfully unfunny, and people in England where simply more polite and laughed anyway...

There's nothing like silencing a whole room full of people with a throwaway remark that you thought was funny...

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Anyone else had similar "blank" looks when you talk to kiwis?
    Yes, I get that a lot, too, although it is getting less so. I never quite understand that, though, because I don't think I have much of a regional accent at all. I've been accused of sounding 'posh' a few times, but since English is not my first language, I think that is somewhat forgivable, and would have thought that makes me easier to understand, not more difficult? I occasionally get the impression they are doing it on purpose, just to have a laugh, though.

And I don't have problems understanding Kiwis, but I sometimes still have to stop myself from finding the way they pronounce some words funny...

Daniela

Yep, I had the same problem when I lived in the UK. I had to adapt my Kiwi accent to make myself understood. I came home with such a big plum in my mouth . A few good whacks on the back from family and friends soon dislodged it!

I guess it is one of those things that you dont even think about - before you emigrate - but becomes blatantly obvious once you are here.
    And if you are feeling a little "fragile" it can come as a bit of a shock that you dont quite "fit in".

I'm finding it quite strange actually - that since I stopped teaching - my accent has come back thicker than ever. EVEN after 12 years of livinghere.

I know I had to adapt my "teacher talk" for the kids in my class to understand me - and spelling testes were very long and drawn out - because I always had to give an example of the word I wanted in a sentence - although the kids used to say they preferred it like that than just out of context words.
    But I have almost reached a point where I actually dont care anyomer.
    This is me.
    This is how I talk - because this is where I am from and I am fiercely proud of that. And actually, everyone talks like me there.......

I remember very clearly going into Asda last year and hearing a geordie voice over the tannoy. It sounded so strange......and yet....great!
    lol

My son learned to spell his name when we came over here, as no one could understand him he said it. Now he automatically says his name and spells it, just in case!

Cheers

Tia

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast