Thread: Gyms in christchurch

Default Gyms in christchurch

Hey

I'm not sure what the gym culture is like in Christchurch but are there any good gyms for free weight training? loads of dumbbells, plates, bars etc..

are they fairly common?

Cheers

Andy

the gym we use is a boxers/ martial arts gym and the have plenty of free weights etc as well as being the cheapest gym in Christchurch. Crighton Cobbers corner Fitzgerald Ave and Chester street. East side of the city which is why its one of the cheapest.

ah cool! what kind of martial arts gym is it? I've been kickboxing for years and a bit of mixed martial arts. How much are gym memberships a month? just curious so i can think about my budget.

I noticed heaps of gyms as I was wandering around Christchurch last week. Didn't actually look into any of them...

When I was making up my own family budget I came up with NZ$175 per month for gym memberships for my wife and me. I don't remember which place I used as a reference - something nice I found on the internet. Hopefully I just happened to stumble across the most expensive gym in the country.

I have just started my search for a gym in the city centre and have come up with the following list of possibilities:
    Centennial Leisure Centre, Oxford Terrace
    Clarendon Health Club, 78 Worcester St
    Crichton Cobbers, 177 Chester St East
    Heritage Health Club, 28 Cathedral St
    Les Mills, 168 Hereford St
    Olympus Health & Fitness Centre, 204 Hereford St
    Pro-Fitness, Moorhouse/Colombo
    Vital Fitness, 75 Durham St
    YMCA, 12 Hereford St
    I have yet to visit any and I am sure I am missing some, but this might be a point to start from...

Shane

hi again, have the membership fees now for Crighton CobbersGold card for 1 year membership NZ$290.........6 months $160 ......... casual visit $7 apart from the aerobics machines, fitness machines and weight room
    it does boxing, Hapkido, judo, ju jistu, karate, kendo, kickboxing, powerlifting, russian combat. tae kwon do and wrestling. it does very few classes but does have two sessions of sport yoga and one of pilates. Its not a posh gym as I said before but its totally unpretensious and within walking distance so it suits me down to the ground.

Thats Fantastic! Very Cheap too. I'm paying £180 1 Year for the student gym here! if I wasn't a student It would be more like £360!

Thanks for letting me know the prices, much appreciated!

Hi Andy

Fit like? Havent spoken for a while as we have been on holiday and getting our LOI ready for submission! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm into kettlebell training, and I think there is also a kettlebell group in Christchurch. I believe the guy that did a workshop for us in Edinburgh is doing one in NZ in November, so hopefully we'll be there by then!

Speak soon Andy, give me a pm and an update!
    Cheers
    Mrs Granite

Just a quick update again folks.

I am going to be doing my Kettlebell Certification in February which means I believe I will be the only qualified female instructor in NZ! Cool eh?

I'd like to work on a one2one basis with anyone interested in learning, and especially lassies that might be otherwise daunted about joining a gym, and who dont want to end up looking like female Schwartzeneggers (sp ??)....

The course is an intensive one, and tho I've been chucking these bells around for a while, I still think I'm gonna die!

Wish me luck, and if anyone is interested in having a go at kbs when I get there (once the flats sold), pm me and we can see what we can do!

Mrs Granite

Best of luck! It'll be awesome to be the only certified female!