Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best flight route

Question Whats the best flight route

Which is the best flight route from the UK, eastward or westward?
    And what is a 20+hr flight like? I get (a little) claustrophobic on a long coach journey let alone a flight across the world! Should we do it in one non stop flight or break the journey up, and if so where to stop off?

There's been lots of posts on this & everyone has their own view on it, me I would break it up but I like the excuse to somewhere else on the way as you don't get a chance any other time but others like to go all the way through to get it over with. I hate flying & didn't find it that bad at all, we stopped in LA, one because of the bagge allowance was more & two it split the journey up & gave us chance to go to Disney for a couple of days with our daughter, my in laws are coming over & they are choosing to stop in HK on the way back
    I'll stop rabbiting now & just wish you good luck

We prefer to fly via Singapore, as we normally find Air Singapore a bit cheaper, plus it splits the two flights quite evenly and you avoid the LA hassles.

If funds and time allows, I would go for a stop over every time, it helps with the jetlag and gives you a chance to visit another long distance destination for not much extra cost.

I think Singapore is a great stop over also, Sentosa is great for relaxing and families, or stay more central if you want shopping and restaurants.

A possible compromise is to stay a night in transit. Both Singapore and Hong Kong have transit hotels where you can catch a sleep and stretch your legs without having to leave the airport.

Cheers

Tia

If you fly Emirates there are two or three stops - one in Dubai (always good if you like sand and wondering why places are there in the first place) and the other(s) for refuelling but you can get off the plane and get back on to a clean one each time. And don't worry about claustrophobia you'll be too busy wondering how you're going to make room for the next meal. Air New Zealand is OK too but not such nice food. I was warned off LAX because of their attitude and lack of facilities. Safe trip whichever you choose.

We picked our flight based on that can depart from Birmingham rather depart from London (couldn't face crowding airport with toddler and baby) and also my sister used Emirates several times from NZ to UK and back, found it better than BA. Air NZ, and Quatas. Lucky Emirates does depart from Birmingham and does have three stop - Dubai, then australia (either syndey or melbourne depend on which final airports in NZ) then NZ.

We came on holiday two years ago with Quantas and would use them again, they were rubbish.

We came over for good a year ago and used Singapore Air, stopping at Singapore (obviously) Just for a few hours and found it a good route as it breaks the journey almost exactly in half. Also, Singapore airport has plenty to do and see - great with bored kids.

On the holiday trip we stopped a few nights in Singpore on the way and Hong Kong on the way back. In short, didn't like Singapore (might be better without kids in tow) but loved HK. Would revisit HK for a holiday in a shot.

I have never been to the states, so can't comment on that route.

We came here with no stopover except 4 hours in transit in LA. It was hideous, I didn't sleep at all for over 40 hours altogether, felt very claustrophobic at times, and really ill by the time we arrived. I would definitely recommend a stopover of at least a full day, and would avoid LA in future.

Singapore, lovely place to stop over and unwind, and you don't get treated like a criminal/potential terrorist like you supposedly do in LA

We came Air NZ, stopping off for about 4hrs in LA.

Got to be honest, found LA a breeze..........even with a 4.5yr old in tow

We thought we would be so tired when we got here, but were well hypa, although jet lag took about a week to wear off........

My sister flys over on a visit next week, Hong Kong on way over, LA on way back - will let you know her thoughts.

Sharon
    x

I came back from NZ at the beginning of the week, I flew with Air New Zealand both ways via Hong Kong. Due to time, I didn't stop over, so just had 2 hours at Hong Kong.
    I don't travel well but found the trip went well. We travelled economy but were impressed with the amount of leg room. The food was OK and the entertainment was good (you can pause the films, make up your own play list for music)
    I am mixed on if I would stop, last time we did and it was great in Singapore as others have said Sentosa is lovely, however I personally almost found it easier to go through the time change once instead of in stages.
    Hubbie went via L.A on the way out and found it a bit of a nightmare with the immigration process.

Good Luck!

Kerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast