Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $55k a year...is it enough?

Something I heard the other day which made me smile:

"The grass IS greener on the other side, it's just harder to mow"

Interesting thread...

We spend about $200 per week for a family of 6. We buy organic food mostly. We buy dry food in bulk and store it in big plastic containers (well, I still have to get the plastic containers - we arrived in NZ a month ago).

We get our produce delivered weekly from 2 different companies. I avoid supermarkets and the like as much as possible (ok, you've guessed it: I hate shopping). I have found that buying unprocessed food really reduces our grocery bill. Our only sin: chocolate!

By the way: I am trying to buy a food processor: any tip on which brand I should get?

Sandrine

rob

go for a magi-mix blender, professional tool expensive but not made of cheap plastics and bits that snap,

worth the extra hundred pound

Dan

Very sobering thread and makes one think that many of us probably waste alot of money on convenience/processed food.

Kiwi sounds like she's got her head firmly screwed on (sorry folks, don't mean the rest haven't) but each time I go to Tescos/Sainsburys I'm amazed at what I've got for what I've spent (doesn't generally include alcohol).

I know between now and arriving in NZ I've got to get better organised and focused on what is really important (and I do like a drink as much as the next person). I'm hoping to give up work for a few years, but at this rate, I don't think I'll be able to.

As an a side, someone mentioned that eating out at a restaurant was $100-150 I think. Is that at a really fancy place or just you're average weekend meal out? The reason I ask is that my husband and I were thinking of possibly opening a restaurant, and if rent and ingredients are less (?) than the UK, then restauranteurs can't be doing too bad??? Then again, maybe people don't eat out as much in NZ - too many neighbourly BBQs.

Ria

Hi that was me that posted that price for a meal for two, based on a good restaurant, 2/3 courses each (and totally stuffed due to NZ portions) and a decent bottle of wine. Can be done a lot cheaper e.g. going for a buffet option, glass of wine rather than a bottle, or BYOB. BUT I think the restaurants find it hard because eating out is not something kiwis generally do (except in Aukland!). Home cooking / BBQs are far more their style. We have been to dinner with many people since coming here - but only invited to dinner in a restaurant once. Kiwis are thrifty people, they don't spend unnecessary money.

eating out is not something kiwis generally do (except in Aukland!)
    Really?! That's quite surprising! I thought I heard that Wellington has a "cafe" culture with more restaurants per capita than NYC. I assumed that meant people ate out quite a bit!?

I can vouch for Welly's cafe culture, and on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night the restaurants are jam-packed. (If it's not, I generally wouldn't venture in cos there's obviously a reason! ) Even the small Indian restaurant in Johnsonville is packed from 6pm on Friday.

I must admit we haven't been out eating as much as we did in the UK, but we've had a few expenses lately (er, like coming out here in the first place and setting up home, ITA, medicals etc...), that said however, when we have been out we've had a really decent meal (2 courses at least), and either a few drinks or a bottle of wine for between $60 - $120 depending on the restaurant.

Hope this helps!

Jod

hello all

thanks for all your tips... i think going grocery shopping for me is gonna be a challenge there, coz all the brands are quite different from ours here.

I tried that website for supermarket... uh, what is it, woolworths or eh, i forgot! anyway, tried putting in the basic things i use at home, so for my family (we're seven) i found i was gonna need $200 for the first shop and then maybe $100 every 2 weeks for some grocery items that need replenishing, plus about $50 for the fresh produce. would that be realistic or is it expensive because i look at woolworths and not at pak and save?

anyway, I love shopping, in case anyone needs to know that, so if you need a shopper... :P :P

annie

in sw london we spend (easily) £600+ month on foodstuffs - note that with 2 kiddies food fairly simple. add hubs lunches, hmmm, prob £100+, takeaways/out £200+ (1.5 x weekly), daughter £30+ school lunches (baked spud and juice). we intentionally dont think too much because it would just stress us more and stress is the one thing that ensures raising the takeaways/ eating out figure. pre new wagamama eating out used to be higher. much. having people in add £100.

so that is min £1000/ post-tax per month. pls tell me there is a light at the end of this tunnel. guess am hoping that reduced stress means you have time to enjoy what you eat and are less inclined to go out. would also be nice is food actaully tasted of something more that brussels h2o ( we often hear you can buy lovely fruit and veg if you trail around the city first thing sat am but the stress of that is worth at least one more eating out/ takeaway. as for the environ hazard of the car... ). i once bought 12 'handmade cookies' that were made from !@£$%^&* at the local french market for an astonishing £5 - and they tasted hideous.

Jod,
    I can vouch for Welly's cafe culture
    Whew! That is wonderful to hear!

Even the small Indian restaurant in Johnsonville
    Johnsonville is sounding better and better!

RoadRunner

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast