Thread: Shipping a Huge Desktop Computer After Arrival

Default Shipping a Huge Desktop Computer After Arrival

Hi everyone,

I've recently arrived in NZ and got a job, work permit and had my PR application mailed in. I came with very little stuff and was thinking of asking some folks back home to ship some of the others over, including a large desktop computer and a LCD monitor.

Am I right in saying I will need to pay GST on all items I ship to myself, even though they're used? The only way to avoid that GST is that I *arrive* in NZ with a residency permit *for the first time*. I suppose that means it doesn't apply for me now that I'm already here, and then presumably I get my residency permit approved later while I'm still here?

Any thoughts or experience to share?

Kelvin

We had arrived here with only work permit but have already applied for PR.
    Customs did not charge us for anything because we had the intention of staying here forever.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've recently arrived in NZ and got a job, work permit and had my PR application mailed in. I came with very little stuff and was thinking of asking some folks back home to ship some of the others over, including a large desktop computer and a LCD monitor.

Am I right in saying I will need to pay GST on all items I ship to myself, even though they're used? The only way to avoid that GST is that I *arrive* in NZ with a residency permit *for the first time*. I suppose that means it doesn't apply for me now that I'm already here, and then presumably I get my residency permit approved later while I'm still here?

Any thoughts or experience to share?

Kelvin
    The rules are now based on what type of visa you held when you first entered NZ. If it was just a visitor visa then you will be liable to GST, if it was with a work visa for 12 months or more then you will be OK. It doesn't have to be a PR.

See When no customs charges apply for more details.

Ian