Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christchurch - Open Fires/Woodburners

Default Christchurch - Open Fires/Woodburners

If you are looking for property in the Chch area please be careful when looking at houses with cosy open fires and woodburners.

"From 2006, you may not be able to use an open fire within Christchurch city. Soon after that, older wood and coal-fired heaters will need to be replaced with cleaner, better means of heating - and there will be strict guidelines in place governing pollution and energy efficiency standards for replacement burners."

For more info visit http://www.ecan.govt.nz/CleanHeat/chp.html

We put an offer in on another house recently and were about to settle on a price when they said "oh, one thing, the woodburner will need replacing in the next year or two" :eek We will now negotiate based on the cost of replacing said woodburner :

They refer to open fire or wood burners as the main source of heating in the main living area, do they? To put it the other way round, you are allowed to have open fire if you have another heating which is adequate for heating the main living area (and, of course, it does not depend on burning wood). Am I right?
    They don't want to be the only NZ city with a smog problem in winter, i suppose.

Frithjof

I don't think ANY open fires will be allowed due to the amount of pollution they create but authorised woodburners that meet the new Clean Air policy will be allowed... this link has more simplified info...

http://www.ecan.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres...uleschch04.pdf

Ok, the terminology is throwing me off. I know what a woodburner is, but is an open fire the same as a fireplace?

Yes Mechidna, an open fire is in an open hearth with chimney :P

But Moorf, that means no more romantic fires in the middle of winter. What are you supposed to do, rug up and hop for the best?

Definately a warmer place for me!

Thanks!

I'm afraid so, you'll have to roll on your sheepskin rug in front of a gas fire :? , diesel fire or a woodburner :P

Closed in wood burners are better than open fires i that situation, less chance of a stray spark!

They are also hot on people installing pellet burners too look simular to a woodburner but cleaner.

waiheke Island > CC > Queenstown > Hampshire UK >2005 ???

Moorf a word of advice, Don't rush into buying a house. I know that renting after owning in the UK can get you down. You've only been in NZ for a short time and alot can happen.
    I'd look around for a better rental for at least a year and see how you feel then.
    When people first arrive in a new country there emotions are everywhere and it can take along time to feel your way in. What's a nice place in the summer can be hell in the winter. Strong winds , not alot of sun, smog ect ect.
    Fools rush in.
    As for real estate agents it sound like your learning fast. They don't eat if they don't sell, unlike the disinterested UK estate agents.

ps, it's not a home your looking for, you left that behind.
    your looking for a house.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyer
    Moorf a word of advice, Don't rush into buying a house. I know that renting after owning in the UK can get you down. You've only been in NZ for a short time and alot can happen.
    I'd look around for a better rental for at least a year and see how you feel then.
    When people first arrive in a new country there emotions are everywhere and it can take along time to feel your way in. What's a nice place in the summer can be hell in the winter. Strong winds , not alot of sun, smog ect ect.
    Fools rush in.

I think you are spot on here, as you say, once you have owned your own place it is hard to accept life in a rental, but it is better to wait and look around (although I think Moorf and Woz have done that)

As for real estate agents it sound like your learning fast. They don't eat if they don't sell, unlike the disinterested UK estate agents.

ps, it's not a home your looking for, you left that behind.
    your looking for a house.

I'm not sure about the last comment though, for someone who has decided to stay in NZ, a home is exactly what they are looking for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast