Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PE Plimsolls- bring or chuck?

Default PE Plimsolls- bring or chuck?

Do kids in NZ wear black slip-on plimsolls such as Uk kids wear for PE? I have a bag full of hand-me-downs of various sizes and wondering whether to keep them as my kids could use them or pass onto someone here before we go?

Also how do kids take their packed lunch to school? Do they use the rectangle shape ones, zip round, fabric-with-a-handle type? Do older kids use rucksacks to carry books to school?
    Last edited by Carey; 27th April 2008 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Omitted question

I'm sure some one will be along soon to give the correct answer but my observation when I was in NZ was that I saw loads of kids doing P.E with barefeet!

K x

My kids don't use them at their school, and I've never seen them anywhere in NZ (not that I particularly looked for them). Everyone seems to carry school stuff in rucksacks, from age 5 all the way up to 13. Lunch boxes: whatever you want, all shapes and sizes.

Not too plimsolls from me too and we brought some Rucksacks yes and make sure they are big enough to take swimming stuff, reading folders and all the lunch stuff so relatively big even for 5 year olds

Karenx

Defo no plimsolls, all the kids do PE in barefeet, indoors or out. If they really need footwear, they might wear scruffy trainers (called sneakers here), but this is rare. They also do not need PE kit as they just wear whatever they have on at primary school. However at the middle school they have a separate PE kit uniform. But they still don't wear shoes.

Rucksacks - yes definitely, they have book bags (flat velcro-fastening protective vinyl things) to put their school exercise books in and library books, and then all of this goes into a rucksack along with their lunch box, so the bag needs to be quite big, at least big enough to contain an A4 style folder. Lunchboxes - all sorts, we find the wipe clean vinyl square zip-up ones quite good, and fill them with lots of different sized tupperware clip up containers with food in. Not important for lunch boxes or rucksacks to be trendy or the right ones here I have found.

All kids need ruck sacks right from the start and are expected to carry a lot of stuff, especially in the swimming term. You will also need swimming bags and lots of swim stuff and towels etc - but not until next summer now.

At daughters new school they can wear anything they want for PE apart from jandals (flip-flops) and most kids go barefoot aparently. I asked about PE kit and got some strange looks.....told me they do sports in normal school clothes (polo shirt/fleece and whatever they happen to be wearing on bottom half). Very different to UK where they had to have indoor shoes for classroom so they didn't hurt toes with chairs etc...here they are barefoot inside building and all shoes left outside to the elements.

Aparently all kids have rucksacs...and they do not seem to show any concern for chilled lunchboxes here...in UK all local primary schools in our old area would not let them even eat their lunch if box not chilled for health & safety reasons....would ring parents to pick children up for lunch!

Like others have said, I'd leave the plimsolls, ours do PE barefoot as well.

They do have a PE kit, though, shorts and t-shirt that go with the uniform that they should be wearing.

Ours have backpacks, with plastic lunch boxes. They do carry their stuff from early on, I found it to be considerably more than in the UK, and considerably less than in Germany (where most kids seem to have those wheely suitcase type thing to carry their stuff to school...).

Our school started to change the uniform when we got here, and is a bit all over the place with their rules at the moment, so I am not sure what kind of rules they'd have for trainers or shoes in general, but it sounds like anything other than flipflops, boots, or too colourful goes.

Daniela

Specifically for Cambridge - none of the schools have uniform except the Catholic School (I think they have a uniform).

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    Defo no plimsolls, all the kids do PE in barefeet, indoors or out. If they really need footwear, they might wear scruffy trainers (called sneakers here), but this is rare. They also do not need PE kit as they just wear whatever they have on at primary school. However at the middle school they have a separate PE kit uniform. But they still don't wear shoes.

Rucksacks - yes definitely, they have book bags (flat velcro-fastening protective vinyl things) to put their school exercise books in and library books, and then all of this goes into a rucksack along with their lunch box, so the bag needs to be quite big, at least big enough to contain an A4 style folder. Lunchboxes - all sorts, we find the wipe clean vinyl square zip-up ones quite good, and fill them with lots of different sized tupperware clip up containers with food in. Not important for lunch boxes or rucksacks to be trendy or the right ones here I have found.

All kids need ruck sacks right from the start and are expected to carry a lot of stuff, especially in the swimming term. You will also need swimming bags and lots of swim stuff and towels etc - but not until next summer now.

Even bare feet in winter?

Eldest would like to know about the High school; anyone with older kids know?
    Rucksacks too for them I presume?

Must admit to having no idea what type of shoe a plimsole is ( I m guessing its a type of sandshoe ).
    Anyway... in the middle of winter in colder parts of the country ie Central Otago , many children will wear sandshoes / sneakers or maybe simply the shoes they wore to school. In warmer parts of the country with no hoar - frosts , the children will most likely be running around in barefeet. You'll get used to the barefoot scene. My children have a PE uniform but its only worn on major sports days.

At high school you will find "most " kids wearing the appropriate footwear for the particular sport they are involved in, however its certainly not unusual to see a game of lunchtime rugby/ tennis being played bootless/ shoeless.

Rucksacks backpacks are used by the older children too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast