Thread: Auto garage door repairs

Default Auto garage door repairs

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a company in Wellington that could come & fix my garage door? It's been playing up now & again & has now almost stopped working completely so car now has to be left out
    Thanks

Nope - but I'm a dab hand at fixing them myself as they are not very complex - Rx, motor controller and current sensor. What exactly is the fault?

Rod

Hi Rod
    It's a case what's not the problem
    It's not going up, not going down, going up a few feet, not working at all, working after 5 minutes (although that seems to have stopped now) just never know what it will do next, does that sound like something you could fix?

Hi Lindsey,
    We've had similar sounding problems with both garage doors at our rental. I've driven half way down the road, thinking that the garage door was closing happily behind me only to look back & discover it opening again. The time I've spent standing pushing the button again & again to try & inch the door down fully.
    I've:
    lubricated the rollers
    replaced the metal on the door (the door was actually torn away from the motor hinge-bit - leaving a big hole in the door! I've never seen such thin, cheap metal garage doors before!!).
    Finally, I think I've now discovered the reason for the problem: stones/leaves getting in the way of the doors closing. The doors appear to be HYPER-sensitive to ANY objects (no matter how small) that may lie in their paths. They will start to close & then 1/4 of the way down (or 1/2 way or 1/8 of the way, depending on their mood!) they start to open again.
    The solution: I brush away anything that might upset the doors before I close them (even if I can't see anything). It seems to work !!
    Hope this works with your door.
    Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    Hi Rod
    It's a case what's not the problem
    It's not going up, not going down, going up a few feet, not working at all, working after 5 minutes (although that seems to have stopped now) just never know what it will do next, does that sound like something you could fix?
    What make?

Does it behave the same from the manual button as well as the remote?

If you disengage the chain release (manual lift) is the door free, or binding?

.... That might give a clue as to whats wrong.

Rod

What make? PARKER

Does it behave the same from the manual button as well as the remote? YES

If you disengage the chain release (manual lift) is the door free, or binding? YES, WHEN YOU FREE THE DOOR FROM THE CHAIN, IT GOES UP AND DOWN NICELY

If it was happening everytime we used it, I could understand possibley where the fault could lie, but this driving me mad. One day it could go up and down when asked for going out and all is well. Then it stops working, doesn't move for either remote or wall button, and I have to release the door to get it open and then wait. In the last week or so, it has added something else to think about. When it does start moving, it could go up by a foot, or halfway and then stop, and again pushing the buttons does nothing. I release the door, and when it works again, it could go either way (chain open or close) and if the door is in the wrong position, we have to wait further to lock it in place (frustrating at midnight waiting for it to stop throwing a paddy)

Hope this answers you questions.

Thanks

Default Tension adjustment

There's a sensor that detects the door is under stress. You adjust it with a screw. If its set to low it can be triggered by the vibrations. If its set too high, it will strain against a blockage. It may be set wrong.

The assembly is screwed onto the moter unit, but can come loose. Vibration can then trigger the unit too early. If the sensor twists on the fixing screw it can touch the chain and never let go.

The sensor is near the chain pulley on the master unit.

Hope this helps

Thanks Rod for coming round & fixing this for us , you really don't know what a difference it makes knowing it will now work & we can put the car away without fear of me going into labour & not being able to get the car out

It was something we couldn't have fixed ourselves & it's just great everytime I pull up back home & press teh button & hey presto it opens & we now get a light on even better
    we owe you one